Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Grand AM Overheating

keltic1der
07-01-2006, 07:54 AM
I have a 97 Grand Am which is overheating - I have replaced the water pump, radiator and thermostat, had a pressure check and there is no coolant in the oil. It does not always overheat, it is intermittent. I have had it at the shop 5 times and they can find nothing wrong with the engine. Does anyone have any ideas of what else it could be?

keltic1der
07-01-2006, 07:59 AM
I forgot to mention - When it is overheating - the heat goes out and blows cold air.

xeroinfinity
07-01-2006, 06:48 PM
air in the coolant system, or your thermostat is Defective!

keltic1der
07-03-2006, 07:13 AM
I know it is not air in the system, had that checked 3 times but thanks for the idea.

Gir-_-
07-03-2006, 08:14 AM
can never be too sure on the air in the system =p

If you want, find a slightly steep driveway or something to put the front of ur car up a little in a spot that you can work on it.

Then put on the AC to full blast and the heat all the way up and let it rip the heat out.... and while its doing this you need to go and look under the hood and find the coolant and slowly take off the cap...

If done right you'll see the level of the coolant surge down or be very low...

Let it run for about 5 mins like that and see if you have anymore problems.

Doing all of this is just setting the coolant system at its max and rushing everything through the lines and hopefully grabbing air pockets back to where u opened up the coolant.

xeroinfinity
07-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Well, if thiers no air in the system, and the thermostat is good and working properly then you very well could hav a blown head gasket.

I guess you could also hav a pluged heater hoses or the heatr core is pluged.

Good Luck!

jpete2006
07-08-2006, 05:04 PM
My 95 Grand Am was overheating. Replacement heater core solved problem.

daman
07-08-2006, 09:50 PM
I have a 97 Grand Am which is overheating - I have replaced the water pump, radiator and thermostat, had a pressure check and there is no coolant in the oil. It does not always overheat, it is intermittent. I have had it at the shop 5 times and they can find nothing wrong with the engine. Does anyone have any ideas of what else it could be?

Does it over heat driveing down the road or in town???

Add your comment to this topic!