Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cars with both manual & automatic transmission?

katemac
08-07-2002, 07:44 AM

SilverLotus340R
08-14-2002, 01:43 PM
ferraris have an f1 gear box that does that
and i think the new Lamborghini does too...but that comes out like in 2004-2005 ...

and aston martins vanquish i think has one too

Polygon
08-14-2002, 01:46 PM
There aren't any cars that have a manual and automatic transmision. If it is an auto that can switch to manual then it still an automatic with you shifting the gears, not the computer. It still isn't a manual.

MidNiteMysT
08-15-2002, 03:21 PM
what r u guys talkin about?? theres such thing as automatic and manual. i think its called tiptronic transmission. one of the acura have it. try calling up a acura dealership and ask what car they have that has manual and automatic. you can ask em about it too. and Silverlotus, i think shes talking about in her price range, not supercars.

THE4TH
09-09-2002, 05:12 AM
midnite...
she's got 1 post, from the uk.. probably not to familiar with acura and the american cars..
it also depends on how technically aware she is.. we could say for instance that the prelude was an auto and a manual, which it was an auto stick...
it's not both technically.. it's auto..
but you would consider it both.. the acura your thinking of, well they make a few like that.. none of which are true auto manuals..
the ferrari, porsche and the vanquish, yes does have one...
even lexus makes a better auto shifter than honda and the like..
check out the shifting system in an is300 sometime..
and for fun turn the tcs off.. :cool:

dario03
06-22-2003, 09:39 PM
manual/auto trans have been out since the 60's some guy named hurst made it first I think, they did a thing on car and driver last week on tnn. Just look up hurstoldsmobile on the net some time they put them in the cutless for like 25 years so you could probably find a oldsmobile that has a manual/auto trans in it.

If anyone knows where i could find a manual/auto trans aftermarket website could you tell me where.

buymeabmwm3
07-10-2003, 08:42 AM
BMW offers a Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG). Basically the same thing as whats in the ferarri's, lambos, and astons, but for a WHOLE lot cheaper. BMW M3 and BMW Z4 both have this transmission option. It has a mode for fully automatic driving, and several modes for manual shifting with either a floor mounted shifter or paddles behind the wheel. These cars run maybe 40-50 large. If thats still too expensive, you could go with any of the automatic transmission from most recent cars. Many of them have buttons or movements that allow you to "kinda" shift them like a manual. Not really the same though, but may be a good comprimise. Nissan, Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc all have something like that. They have funny names like Tiptronic, Manumatic, Shifttronic, but they're all the same thing. A automatic tranny with a manual override.
The CVT you mention from Rover is just comng out on many cars. BMW Mini Cooper has one, Honda Civic has one, Audi A4, and I think Pontiac has one too. These are kind of like automatic transmissions, and will basically work the same. The differences would be unnoticable to the average person. You could drive it as an automative, or use buttons or shift motions to manually ovverride it and change gears. SMG most expensive but really the only true automatic/manual, CVTs less expensive, automatics with manual overrides least expensive. Hope this helps.

Hudson
07-10-2003, 10:17 AM
This may be of some help.

All automatics can be shifted manually. CVTs do not have "gears," but some have set ratios to seem like they do...they're still not manuals.

"Tiptronic," "sportshift," "AutoStick," and similar transmissions are automatics with a toggle (or paddles or buttons) to allow the driver to change gears. They're still not manuals. A manual transmission has a clutch (not necessarily a clutch pedal, though).

Toyota (MR2), BMW, Aston Martin, Ferrari, and a few other companies offer manual transmissions that lack a clutch pedal. In some of these cases, the transmission must be shifted by the driver. A few allow for the driver to be completely removed from the process, but they're only the more expensive systems.

In summation, there are manually shifted automatics (virtually any automatic can fall into this category) and clutch-pedal-less manuals. Two completely different animals.

Add your comment to this topic!