Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help choosing a car!!!

acompdude
06-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Ok, I am used car searching and I want to see if any of you guys can help me narrow it down. My limit is $8000 firm. I want something that is a "newer" model and preferably a little sporty (I am 17). I want something with a smaller engine though because of the whole gas deal. I want a 2 door because they look better to me. Another big thing that i am looking at is the insurance. This will be my second vehicle(I toataled my Jeep) and I know since i totaled a car it is going to kill my insurance. I would also like a car that has a pretty good history of being reliable. Anyway, I am open to any and all suggestions and ideas.

Thanks

acompdude
07-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Bump!

drdisque
07-01-2006, 01:31 PM
'99 or 2000 Mercury Cougar
Dodge Stratus or Chrysler Sebring coupe

Andydg
07-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Civic, Corolla, Camry, etc.

PlayStation3
07-04-2006, 12:05 PM
i say go with a saturn sc2 or maybe a saturn ion quadcoupe.

G-man422
07-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I say go w/ a corrolla or camry. possible a newer nissan 240, or maxima?

bMkoZ9
07-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Hope I'm not too late, but Civic is always highest recommended, and you can make it sporty, especially with a $8000 price range, I'd recommend a hatchback, or a Honda GX, those get like 40 mpg.

drdisque
07-15-2006, 08:13 PM
the civic GX is dreadfully slow, he asked for something a little sporty

PlayStation3
07-15-2006, 09:04 PM
and he also said something with 2 doors half of the cars that where said wheren't

sickcallawayc12
07-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Being 17, wrecked a vehicle already, and wanting a 2 door/sporty vehicle, you're probably gonna have to pay a ton of insurance no matter what you choose, just thought i'd get that out of the way. With that said, a civic is a good choice, but i don't think it will help you insurance wise (lots of stupid kids drive/race civics your age and wreck them). Toyota is good with the celica, but tends to be overpriced and may not be as good with insurance either. I agree with playstation3 in looking at a saturn. A saturn is a good car, though not as fast and the aftermarket support is diminishing, but is good on gas and insurance. The maintenance is relatively cheap and is reliable as long as it is properly maintained, pretty light with the plastic materials, plus they're one of the easiest cars to work on yourself (if you're into that). Another you may look into that will be the fastest than anyone mentioned is a impreza RS. Hands down the fastest one mentioned and can be a hell of a lot faster if you invest money in it and reliability is on par with Honda/Toyota, but can be pricey. Finding one that hasn't been abused or one that was well taken care of can run around 10000, and the trannys are on the weak side i'm told but can be found around your price range and is the sportiest of all mentioned too. good luck in whatever you choose.

BlazinBWF
07-26-2006, 07:27 PM
I would look at some civics and probably some mustangs. If you really want 2 doors just make sure that it has 4 seats as it will lower the cost of insurance.

acompdude
07-30-2006, 12:02 AM
i want to thank all you guys for your input so far. anyway.....

well, i really did want a car, but since i just ran into some financial issues i was not able to get a car yet. since then i have been re-thinking some things. I know SUVs dont get as good gas mileage, but when i think about it i really liked my jeep, and i dont really need anything sporty. after all i am about to go to college and i am going to need something reliable to get me through for a couple years. so now that i have re thought this lets see what you guys can come up with. my limit is still 8000, but if i could stay a grand or two under i would be very happy.

sickcallawayc12
07-30-2006, 02:04 AM
i want to thank all you guys for your input so far. anyway.....

well, i really did want a car, but since i just ran into some financial issues i was not able to get a car yet. since then i have been re-thinking some things. I know SUVs dont get as good gas mileage, but when i think about it i really liked my jeep, and i dont really need anything sporty. after all i am about to go to college and i am going to need something reliable to get me through for a couple years. so now that i have re thought this lets see what you guys can come up with. my limit is still 8000, but if i could stay a grand or two under i would be very happy.
You sound just like me in late june. I ended up getting a 98 blazer lt. not the greatest on gas but sweet ride nonetheless, though really is a money pit.

overclock
08-09-2006, 10:34 PM
have you looked at the acura integra? i've been doing some research on vehicles b/c i have to get a new one before college starts and before my parents leave to go out of state, which limits me to getting one this coming weekend. integras have decent mpg (25 city/30 highway), they're extremely reliable and very sporty (although, now ur not looking into sporty vehicles but instead into Jeeps), plus u can get a decent one for around 5k. however, the performance isn't good on autos but excellent on manuals from what i've heard. the insurance will probably run around 450usd if it's in ur name. like everyone, i too recommend a honda civic. with the increasing price of gas and repairs, this should be one of ur top 3 choices.

sickcallawayc12
08-10-2006, 12:56 AM
i have yet to see an automatic 4 banger that is as sporty as a manual.

drdisque
08-11-2006, 12:45 AM
a 17 year old would pay through the nose to insure an integra

markokir
12-03-2013, 03:37 PM
So I have been researching and test driving these two cars. I am trying to decide which one and I hop you can help.

Hyundai, Sonata SE fully loaded - I really like this, it looks sharp and has all the features you would want but I feel like the seats aren't that comfortable and has a more of a sporty like seating (a smaller feel) in side the car.

Nissan altima SL fully loaded - I like this car as well especially the seating and the interior (more comfortable) has all the same options but the outside of the vehicle is not as sharp looking as the Hyundai.

Any information or opinions that you could provide to help me decide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

Dave B.
02-07-2014, 10:47 PM
My two picks would be either a Honda Civic or a Ford Focus. Both are available as 2-doors and both are very reliable cars that get good fuel mileage (the Honda would probably be slightly better). Look for an EX Civic or an SE Focus - the interiors are much better than the base models. Insurance should be reasonable for either car - although your 'total' may alter the definition of 'reasonable'.

I know that some people look down their noses at the Focus, but my wife and I both have them as daily drivers and really like them.

Going to college, I'd say that fuel mileage and reliability should be your main concerns. Either of those cars should deliver in both categories.

Add your comment to this topic!