Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Grand AM leaking coolant from elbow?!

j_leigh16
06-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Hey all,
I was in town today and noticed the smell of coolant, so I stopped and coolant was coming out all over the ground behind the motor. I drove home quickly, 20 minutes drive, DIDN'T overheat at all, didn't leak while driving..
I pulled into my driveway and then after we turned off the car, it started leaking bad again.
After a while, I went outside and put it up on the ramps, and then started to look for the leak. It is coming from an elbow on the passenger side firewall underneath a big fitting. The coolant was just pouring out of the elbow and continued to do so for a long time. I looked everywhere, and could not find where the elbow would even come close to connecting to.. I have no clue!
I just spent close to $600 in the past week with other problems, I don't want to spend anymore!
HELP!

Thank you!

xeroinfinity
07-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Welcome to AF !

Sounds like its your heater hoses are leaking.

What motor you hav, 4 or 6cyl?

j_leigh16
07-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Hey, thanks for the reply!
I have a 6 cylinder... 3.3 litre.. I was going to get stop leak, but I don't know if i should get something that could waste my money..
I first noticed the smell of coolant when I dropped something on the floor and bent over to pick it up and could smell coolant coming from the vent..

xeroinfinity
07-03-2006, 09:15 AM
I think stop leak isnt a solution that will fix your leak.

Your heater core(or the hoses) is most likly leaking, and will require a new one.
Not to bad to replace, and costs very little for youe 92'.

j_leigh16
07-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I checked it out at the auto parts store here, $66.50 CAD..I figured I'd just pick up the new heater core this weekend and do it.. I have another question though.. We have a 89 Ford Taurus, 6 cyl, and it's blowing steam from the vents, but it really smells like oil. There's only 65,000 KM on it..

j_leigh16
07-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Nice car might I add. :)

xeroinfinity
07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
I have another question though.. We have a 89 Ford Taurus, 6 cyl, and it's blowing steam from the vents, but it really smells like oil

Same thing here, the heater cores leaking. THat steam is coolant, kinda smells sweet.

Not good to breathe for long periods. :nono:

Add your comment to this topic!