Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

For those using Tamiya spray paint for painting car body

Ben L.
08-07-2002, 12:26 AM
On average how many can(s) do you use for such task? Any tips on doing a decent job with spray cans? I read a thread where Primera Man outlines the steps he undertake when painting car bodies, but I can't find it now. Can someone please post the link? Thanks.

Purpura Delujo
08-07-2002, 05:13 AM
How do you get a really good finish? You get your brother who has been spraying....all sorts of things ;) and who is rated as one of the best painters in his area to do it for you :D Well, at least thats what I do...

tazdev
08-07-2002, 05:54 AM
cheater:D

J/k.

primera man
08-07-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Ben L.
On average how many can(s) do you use for such task? Any tips on doing a decent job with spray cans? I read a thread where Primera Man outlines the steps he undertake when painting car bodies, but I can't find it now. Can someone please post the link? Thanks.

This it here you looking for??.......

Make sure you sand the car well...removing molding lines etc. Finish off with 1200 grit paper.
Before painting, heat the can up in hot water for 10 minutes so it flows better from the can.
2 Coats of white primer. First coat very light, the second so that it covers the model. Dont be to fussy if it still looks a bit "see-though"
Leave for a week to harden the primmer.

3-4 Coats of finish coat about 5-10 minutes apart....thats it...nice a simple.(keep the can warm)
The first coat is a vey light mist coat...the paint should only just be landing on the car.
Do the same for the second coat
The third coat you can spray a bit more heavy.
The last coat is the one you want to get perfect.
I always spray the front and rear bumpers first...then both sides along the whole length of the car body.
Then the last bit i do is the bonnet/boot and roof last

Dont bother sanding between coats as i dont really see the point...all you are doing is making more dust and removing half the paint you have just stick on.
After you have finished the last coat...leave for 10-12 days.......rub with some compound then finish with a wax.
After one day....leave the car in the sun or a warm place to harded the paint untill you polish it up.

Ben L.
08-07-2002, 09:55 AM
primera man - Yes! That's what I was looking for, thank you very much for the repost.

turmio - thanks for the link too.

:)

mediamixhobby
08-08-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by primera man

This it here you looking for??.......

Make sure you sand the car well...removing molding lines etc. Finish off with 1200 grit paper.
Before painting, heat the can up in hot water for 10 minutes so it flows better from the can.

Hi P-man!

A silly question: what's the temperature to heat the can at? I always afraid the water is too hot and make the can explode!

Add your comment to this topic!