Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clunk in the rear

himie298
06-30-2006, 08:23 AM
1996 legacy wagon 4 wheel drive.
ya back to the clunk in the rear of the wagon. I've hung my head out the rear hatch,the rear doors. and still nothing. While banging on the under side with a rubber hammer I noticed the front crossmember of the rear end subframe support that goes from the outside edge (near the rear of the rear doors) to the other side is attached by two large rubber spacers. With a pry bar (not much force) I can move the crossmember up and down. It looks like there has been a lot of movement here. Could this be the clunk noise? Subaru say the rubber spacer is $17.40 each. Can I pry the subframe down to install new ones or do I have to drop the rear end?

freakray
06-30-2006, 08:47 AM
On the Impreza, it's possible for the exhaust to move on it's mounts over a bump and hit a section of the underbody near where it elbows around the differential - have you looked at this?

himie298
06-30-2006, 10:26 AM
I dont think its the exaust system. I've shaken it and even held it (leaning out the back door) while driving.

freakray
06-30-2006, 11:58 AM
I dont think its the exaust system. I've shaken it and even held it (leaning out the back door) while driving.

With gloves on, right?

Add your comment to this topic!