Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Miata seat/color help

675datsun
06-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey all,
For my next project I need to replicate these Miata seats.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/393762315/1393762758071738522aykMbj
1) Do all Miata kits have these style seats? I think they were the same throughout production in 1:1?
2)What kind of paint/color should I use to replicate, so that it doesn't look too shiny? I've only used flat black for interior/seats:)

I also need to replicate the red carpet:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/393762315/1393762719071738522CaEbAP

Is there a company that sells a similar flocking color or is there an easier method for color carpeting/application I'm missing?

Thanks for any help!!!!!

winstona
06-29-2006, 10:14 PM
You can paint over white flocking material using an airbrush. I tried it once and the result looked great IMO. You can check out my build here with a picture of the final product:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=561280

Winston

patoffspyder
06-29-2006, 10:18 PM
My father often buy Miatas, but this is the first time I saw those seats.

To recreate a kind of red leather, you could mix flat and gloss red to get a semi-gloss red. Flat is too flat to represent leather and gloss paint is way to glossy.

CeeElle
06-30-2006, 12:46 AM
I owned a Miata; those aren't factory seats. They look like factory seats that have been modified for the harness.

chato de shamrock
06-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Arts and crafts stores carry all sorts of fabric. You might be able to find sheets of red that you can use instead of flocking. I dont see many varieties of flock colors like before so i've been using 9x12 sheets of what i think is called "felt." Its thin enough to use as carpet but a little too thick if youre planning to cover the entire interior like winstona did on his shelby. By the way, sweet flocking work there winstona.

675datsun
06-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Winston that flocking job looks spectacular! That tape method sounds like it would be perfect for me, thanks!

The seats pictured are factory leather seats in a super rare color, they were modified to fit harnesses.

Chato I'll try the "felt" stuff too. I'll stop by the hobby shop and pick-up a Miata kit as well.
Thanks for the tips everyone!

ZoomZoomMX-5
06-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Revell and Tamiya Miatas have the same basic seat style as you pictured; though neither one engraved the headrest speakers. Those are definitely factory seats that were modified for the harness.

If I were doing the rare red interior (my friend had a black '93 limited edition Miata w/the bright red interior w/aluminum door kick panels) I'd paint the red areas w/Tamiya Italian Red and airbrush a flat clear over the gloss paint to get the sheen down.

Ken's Kustom Fuzzi-Fur is excellent flocking material and comes in a myriad of colors. #111 is the color that matches the Italian Red; if you find it/order it you might get some #112 as well which is one shade darker. It's pretty inexpensive so ordering a few colors might be a good idea. Unfortunately the only info. I have found on them is the address:

Ken’s Kustom Kar Supply. PO Box 85, Fremont, OH 43420-0085

You can also use Testors new "interior" paint in their lacquer line to make the carpeted area; just spray over that w/the red paint.

675datsun
06-30-2006, 12:55 PM
WOw, thank you so much for the information!
I forgot about the flat clear spray!

This interior is for a Datsun Roadster that has the Miata seats. I'll try Italian red for sure!

Thank you for the flocking numbers and paint suggestions, this is invaluable to me!

ZoomZoomMX-5
06-30-2006, 10:09 PM
I was at Hobbytown today and Testors sells a small tube of bright red flocking that should work as well. I also noticed some newly-packaged bottles of gloss, semi-gloss, and flat lacquer clearcoats from them as well.

675datsun
07-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Stopped by the LHS today and picked up a Miata kit for the seats and various red paints...got some red colored flocking from the crafts section!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/393762315/2849948230071738522IoCZuB

Testors makes a "red fabric" paint that I want to test and I found some other flat red paints, "Floquil" is one that I am eager to try.

Add your comment to this topic!