Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fan relay and fuel relay

dh271
06-29-2006, 06:10 PM
What is the best way to hook up a toggle switch using the fan relay on the firewall. I`ve replaced everything possible and it won`t come on by itself no matter how hot it gets. I have it hooked up to the relay now, but the switch still gets hot, thats not good. Fan works fine though. I have the black/pink wire, black wire, and the black/red wire. I have the one side hooked to the hot wire going in and I have the other side hooked to the pink/black coming out of the relay.
Also, is there a fuel switch or fuel relay on the firewall? Thought my fuel pump was out until I moved some wires close to the relays, the car started after I messed with them. Thanks!

jsgold
06-29-2006, 10:37 PM
I can't help on the fan as I have not had that problem, but I would be wary of doing that. Yes, there is a fuel pump relay on the firewall. In fact there should be more than one relay, but only one controls the pump. Had to replace this a few months ago for a random start condition. If you pick up a Haynes manual maybe it can help you with both. there has been a lot of posts here on fan problems, maybe do some research on this forum as well as Beratta(same vehicle, uses same GM service manual), and even the Lumina forum as the system should be the same and I notice that several pretty good mechanics frequent that forum.

dh271
07-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Is there a simple way of bypassing the relay and activate the pump? Then I would know for sure if it was the relay.

Add your comment to this topic!