Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clearcoat

Rickard_Olsson
06-29-2006, 10:17 AM
This may seem like a stupid question but as you know I´m working on the Raybrig NSX and my question is.. If I paint the body and put the decals on.. Can I put clearcoat on? or should I paint the body, apply clearcoat and the put on the decals?
Thanks

Cold_Fire
06-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Decals must be applied over gloss surface to get the best results, and the best appearance of your model will nead clear coat over the full model. So applying clear coat twice is nearly a must.

I usually apply tamiya gloss varnish or future where decals are going to be placed, and after all them are placed and the bodywork is complete, I apply automotive clear to the full bodywork.

Regards

kingkai
06-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Maby I can ask my question here as well. Could you put a clearcoat on windows to keep the windowbanner save? Or ruins this the clearness of the window?

Rickard_Olsson
06-29-2006, 11:13 AM
ok.. But I will use TS-57 (gloss) and TS-26 (gloss) on the body.. can I put the decals on after the paintwork is done and put tamiya clearcoat over the model?

Cold_Fire
06-29-2006, 01:39 PM
If you have used gloss paint and decals are not very complex you can set them directly on the paint, yes.

Take care with tamiya TS-13, it could damage decals. You can find some threads about this in the forum, you must start with very light coats.

Regards

Maby I can ask my question here as well. Could you put a clearcoat on windows to keep the windowbanner save? Or ruins this the clearness of the window?

I think that the best option to do that is dipping the clear part on future.

mickbench
06-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Is this the new 2005 NSX? I thought the decals were some type of metalic decal, and you were advised by Tamiya NOT to clear them..

Anyhow, I've tried a few clear coats, and the one thats had me most impressed is Mr Hobby Top Coat clear. www.hiroboy.com sells it, and it's fantastic. Have a look at my YZF R1 link in my sig if you want to see what this clear looks like over decals..

Gets my vote.

Add your comment to this topic!