Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Frozen e-brake

low_down_&_dirty
06-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Is there anything else I should check, besides pulling everthing apart and trying to "unfreeze" it.

p.s. can you tell me a proper way of bleeding the brakes?:shakehead (i'm hopelessly forgetting)

GTP Dad
06-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Welcome to AF!!

There are two components to the e-brake that often freeze up. One and most common is the cable. If it is frozen then you will need to put a new one on because it is almost impossible to free back up. Second, if the cable is good then the problem is where the e-brake connects to the shoes. Probably rusted. You will need to pull the brakes to remove the actuator and lube it very well and reinstall. Make sure to use brake grease not regular grease.

As for bleeding the brakes, start with the brake furthest from the master cylinder. Right rear! Then work you way around to the front wheel closest to the master and do it last. To bleed the brakes get a piece of hose big enough to fit over the bleeder screw on the back of the brake or caliper. Then place enough fluid into a plastic soda bottle to cover the end of the tubing. Place the tubing into the bottle and have someone hold it or wire it to the suspension. Remove the master cylinder cap and then have someone put their foot on the brake as you open the bleeder valve. The pedal will go to the floor. Close the valve, pump the pressure back up and repeat until the fluid in the line is clear. Close the valve before removing the tubing and going to the next wheel.

Repeat for all other wheels and the job is done. Make sure to keep the master cylinder full at all times. Do not let it go dry or you will have major problems. Make sure all bleeders are tight before moving to the next wheel.

That should do the job.

KimMG
06-29-2006, 07:40 PM
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/13/d9/40/0900823d8013d940.jsp

Above is a link to a free repair guide supplied by www.autozone.com

In the future it would be more helpful for someone to provide assistance if you would provide the model year of your car.
Let us know how it turns out.

Add your comment to this topic!