Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 CVPI running a little rough

BostonKev
06-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi All, just acquired another 02 (100K) and when it starts and idles it's not quite as smooth as some of the others. No CEL's and it's not running too bad but before I just arbitrarily start replacing things I figured I'd get some opinions on how others run through them. Obviously I'll do the plugs but please let me know what has worked for you. Thank you

hotrod_chevyz
06-29-2006, 11:31 PM
clean the idle air control with some electrical cleaner.

BostonKev
07-01-2006, 11:17 PM
I just got a CEL light with 0303 & 0304 codes which are misfires. I was told by a friend that these are commonly associated with an egr issue. Any thoughts? Thank you

krewl1
07-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Easy way is to take the egr off and clean it with throttle body cleaner and clean the hole leading into the throttle body getting rid of all the carbon. Next take the plastic tube that leads to the air filter off of the throttle body and open the butterfly and clean the throttle body. Put it all abck together and see if it helps any. Cheap solution to start off with.
If it still misfires try swapping out the coil packs to different cylinders and see if the misfire follows as this will tell you if the coil pack is bad.

BostonKev
07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
figured I'd close this one out. I replaced the plugs and cleaned all the coils. What I did notice was when I went to clean the MAF sensor was that the state actually put an aftermarket air filter in that did not fit 100% properly. Because the foam on the sides was a bit smaller it was flexing a bit allowing dirt to pass through to the MAF and get in the butterfly. I cleaned the MAF and sprayed out the the intake and layed about a 40 foot patch (in reverse) when I took it for a test drive. Seems to be running much smoother. Thank you

Add your comment to this topic!