Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

While Driving...the engines Stops suddenly

Joe the Big
06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Dear all of you who read this.

This is my first time I own a Honda and last time. I really do not like Honda (at least Honda Oddyssey). Many problems...but this is the worst.

While driving in the highway the engine stops suddenly. Three mechanics said: "nothing is happening to the car" . They said that after plugging the computer to the Van and driving it for a while. (Of course..Murphys Law...the car never stops with the mechanic..it always happen when you are alone).

I do not want to take tha car to the delaer because I am sure they are going to take a lot of money from me after placing the computer again jus to tell me that nothing is happening to the car. In addititon to this they are going to provide me with a BIG LIST OF RECOMENDATIONS of things that the car needs ..that it really doesn't.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?? I do not trust the car any more.

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

duodad
06-30-2006, 10:04 PM
What year is your van? It would make a big difference if it's a '95 or an '05. Any other details? Strange sounds or flickering lights? How frequent is the failure?

Joe the Big
07-01-2006, 11:38 AM
The Car is 1999.

The firts light that appears is a Green one where a Black key is shown. I understand is the ignition light. After taht many lights appear at the same time.

I hope you can help me. The car has 70,000 miles and the firs time it happens was 3 months ago. After that it happens one a week.

Thanks very much,

Regards,

duodad
07-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Refer to bulletin 02-031. This is a safety recall so there is no mileage expiration.

This bulletin basically says the ignition contacts wear out and the engine stalls. 97-00 Odysseys are affected-but not all. Make sure you contact your nearest dealer and give them your VIN so they can confirm coverage.

I think this is your issue. The key light comes on whenever there is an interrupt in the ignition signal. Good luck to you. Be sure to post back with results.

Joe the Big
07-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks very much.

I have another question for all of you who read this!!

What happen if for something fatal happen because of this failure. Suppose somebody gets hurt in an accident because of this dangeuors failure??

I understand that when I car has a recall the dealer or manufacture contact the owner to let him know about it. I have had two recalls (Transmition and now ignition), but I have never been contacted. I am wrong or not?

Thanks very much,

Best Regard,

Jose Garanton

duodad
07-01-2006, 09:59 PM
It's pretty retarded to go through life playing the what if game. I know from experience that Honda, as a manufacturer, has integrity that is top notch. Don't play the victim role. Take some control of your situation. Have you contacted Honda to ensure they have your correct contact information? I'm guessing you haven't.

Joe the Big
07-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Dear friend:

I think your comments were a little bit aggressive.

Don't you think that the fact that I am in this forum and the fact that I have tried this failure with three different mechanics doesn't show that I am taking control of my situation. However I have to really really thank you for your help and comments in this issue.

Let me tell you a little bit about my experience with Honda.

1) They DO have my contact info....

2) When I had my first recall related to the change of transmition the Honda Dealer change it but they ask me to pay for the 4 transmition supports that where destroyed. They said it was not the transmition fault, which is completely impossible.

3) When I bought the this Van the seller told me that the new Van 2000 was coming in two months. Do you know when it arrived? It did the following week.

4) Mechanic doors a pain .!! They are always stuck

5) Brakes...No solution since the very beginning!!!!

6) Leather seats really a mess. I spent 6 months after the dealer really recognized that there bad and they changed for new ones..

If you ask why I do not sell it and buy other stuff!!!!....Money is the reason .the car is full paid!!!

FINALLY..I ask about the situation about a fatal accident because I really consider it an irresponsibility from HONDA not to call / mail or even advertise about this issue. They never did!!

I hope this can help you to understand why I posted my concern about a fatal accident...This is one issue in many many issues with Honda..

Regards

Jose

duodad
07-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Sorry for the offense. It just makes no sense to go through all the what ifs. You may go to a dozen mechanics and have the problem be un-duplicated. See one Honda tech that's worth his weight in salt and you would have had your answer in about 30 seconds.

1. I can't explain why you were not contacted about the recall. They must have something incorrect because it makes no sense for Honda not to do this recall. It is a serious safety issue, #1. It only costs Honda about $60 to perform the update, #2. Transmissions replaced under warranty cost Honda about $2500 and they replace them all the time-everybody knows about it. Go to the Honda owner link and register. It's real easy and will ensure they know how to get ahold of you.

2. Broken mounts are not related to an internal transmission failure. Sucks, yes. But, not related.

3. 99-00 model year was unremarkable-no real changes. You should be glad you got a 99 instead because you got the better deal.

4. The doors on the 99-04 are awful, I agree. Here's what you do:
take a block eraser (you'll remember the kind you used to have in school. They are about 1x2 inch rectangle) and rub this on the contacts of the junction switches on both sides-these are the metal probe things. I'm assuming you have an EX model. The center roller bearings go out all the time too. Those can be real costly to replace.

5. Brakes are definitely meant for light duty use. You can go aftermarket for rotors and get excellent results.

6. The leather seats on your van are not known for problems.

Again, I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers. Anything else you need help with, fire away.

Joe the Big
07-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I really appreciatte your help and support.

My only comment has to do with the mounts. The way how the transmission failed was like this: From time to time when you push the accelerator the car did not begin to move until after 1/2-1 sec, but when it started to move it did suddently and with a strong hit that you can feel all around the car. That's the reason why I beleive the mount were damaged due to the transmission failure. This situation started small and became a big issue after few weeks. I learned from a friend of mine that that was a recall.

The model of my Oddysey has not electric doors. Does the idea of the block eraser can work even if my doors are not electric??

Thanks a lot for this and all the other comments.

Best Regards,

Jose :wink:

duodad
07-02-2006, 09:20 PM
No. If you have manual doors you probably have bad roller bearings. That sucks.

Joe the Big
07-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Dear Readers:

I went to the dealer and this was what happened:

At the very beginnig (by phone directly with the Honda the manufacture) they said that the switch was already changed. When I revied my invoices I realized they were right. So when I call back they said that they will no approve another swicth change and I needed to contact the dealer to talk about it.

I was lucky when I talk to a representative who at the begining said that they will no change it due to the fact that it was already changed and she had never seen a case where it happened two times. At the end they realized about the big issue and they change it.

Some important comments:

1.- If this is a VERY important failure and cost almost nothing to Honda to change it I do not why they are so bad providing a good services for this issue.

2.- They changed the switch but they never let me know about that when I picked up my car in 2004. It was written but nothing to say about it!!

3.- I never received a letter from Honda about this VERY IMPORTANT recall.

4.- They change for the second time this switch. They said it was very weird. So I have two final comments:

a) Maybe they did not changed when they said they did this in 2004 and,
b) If the "did" changed it, which I believe it was, I feel ver very and very insecure about the car....When it is going to happen this again??.....

Question....Did they really fix this problem or it may happend to other Oddysseys in the future.

My last words....This is my first time in my life I buy a Honda..I beleive it will be the last!!

Thanks a lot to all of you help me with this important problem. I founfd the answer with you. Thansks a lot again!!

Joe

CRXperiment
07-18-2006, 02:03 AM
My last words....This is my first time in my life I buy a Honda..I beleive it will be the last!!
Joe

Too bad, your gonna be missing a lot and since Honda didnt work out for you i would say go Toyota... which I myself hate. Hondas are great cars and if treated right they can last forever..i cant say much about the newer models though.

Joe the Big
07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Let me tell you something.

I have had Toyota for may many Years..They are the BEST CARS if you want Quality (not necesary confort). Parts are always cheaper and services is always BETTER.

Beside this Totoya is always superior in number of fails per 100 cars during the firts years..

Nothing compare to TOYOTA and nothing to talk about Lexus.

Regards,

CRXperiment
07-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Why dont you say that to the POS camry thats rotting in my backyard with only 90K miles that doesnt even run or to the lexus my mom leased that only has 25 thousand god dam miles and already has intake problems. Come see either my Honda or my dads which both have over 200K running strong, or some of my friends' CRX's that have almost reached 400K on the ORIGINAL ENGINE. Toyota can lick my balls..they have given us so many problems and have left us on the side of the road for countless occasions. Do what you like but dont come in the Honda forums bashing on your own car. If you dont like it sell it...which ive been trying to do with my Camry but no body will buy it even at only 90K cause its crap.

Joe the Big
07-18-2006, 02:17 PM
All experinces are different..we just must look at www.consumerreports.com (http://www.consumerreports.com) and you will see.

You and me are only individual opinions/experiences . We need to see the aggregate experience and you will realize that TOYOTA > HONDA.

Maybe the HONDA ENGINE > TOYOTA ENGINE (maybe not I am sure)..but overall quality and realibility TOYOTA >HONDA...Just look at the numbers in www.consumerreports.com (http://www.consumerreports.com/)...

Regards,

Joe

CRXperiment
07-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Just for fun....

http://www.hondabeat.com/highmiles.php

duodad
07-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Joe,

Honda, Toyota, doesn't matter. Every car is a machine and there is no such thing as a perfect machine. I've seen those ignition switches go bad even though they've been replaced with the updated version. Refer to Consumer Reports when buying a vacuum cleaner, not a car. If you look I'm sure you can find a GM that they'll recommend to you...then you can talk about having some problems.

As a parting shot using the word "aggregate" didn't really flow in the sentence with all the poor grammar and broken english. Excellent use of the thesarus, however. Hope you have better luck with your next van.:2cents:

ProMan
07-25-2006, 11:30 PM
I don't agree with Joe's opinion. Even you get your impression from the consumers report, remember they are still individual opinions from consumers. It can't prove anything.

On the contrary of your opinion, if you want quality, buy Honda, if you like confort, get Toyota. I have about 30 years driving experience with Toyota and Honda. They are both good. But, still, keep in mind, that's only my experience and only with the cars I drive. Doesn't mean anything. Just exchange of experience. That's what we do here.

Regards...

Add your comment to this topic!