Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 jimmy fuseable link burns

jeffharley
06-27-2006, 06:09 PM
I have a 95 jimmy on the inside of the drivers front fender there is a box with wires that are fuseable links. the fourth post away from the firewall keeps burning the fuseable link. for testing purposes I put a 30 amp fuse holder and fuse in to try to troubleshoot this problem. at this point I have interior lights wipers radio headlights. I do not have any lights on the dash (check engine brake or anything else. no starter, nothing. Can anyone help please!:banghead:

herkyhawki
06-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Your first problem is that you are treating the fusible link as if IT is the problem. The fusible link is doing exactly what it was designed to do, which is to break the circuit if too much current flows due to an electrical short. Bypassing the fusible link could lead to a fire somewhere in the vehicle. You need to trace all wires downstream of the link, visually and with ohm meter to find the short, and fix it. Then the link will stop burning out.

wb8yjf
06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree. You need to get a wiring diagram and trace down the culprit thats poping the link...

jeffharley
06-29-2006, 06:19 AM
I realize I'm supposed to find the short. I've only put the fuse in line to do troubleshooting for the short. What I need to find out is what circiut is protected by the fuseable link I've mentioned.(The fourth post from the firewall on the junction box drivers side inner fender) So far I' have ruled out the starter being the cause by removeing the wires, and the alternator the same way. I really could use the pro's help identifying what this link protects.

wb8yjf
06-29-2006, 09:05 AM
I have a haynes manual with diagrams. What color was this link that fried?

jeffharley
06-29-2006, 09:52 AM
it was gray said 16 on the end of the fat part of the connector and attatched to a fat red wire.

wb8yjf
06-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Hate to say this, but the only fusible links listed in the Haynes book are marked "Link G" (Blue), "Link B" (Black), and "Link F" (Blue). The G link is directly off of the battery, B is between link G and the battery junction block, and F is btween the alternator and the junction block. I guess your best bet is to just follow the wire and see where it goes - which I know is gonna be a pain in the arse. Then with your test fuse add things one at a time till it blows. Wish I could help you more. Someone here probably has access to a better source of information than these aftermarket books. Maybe you can get ahold of a mechanic at a G.M. dealership and buy him a 12 pack for the mysterious info!

Good luck!
Jon

Add your comment to this topic!