Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

100th Anniversary - Giant's Despair Hillclimb ... huge event

JekylandHyde
06-27-2006, 02:27 PM
If you only come out to one hillcimb this year, this will be the one to see.
If you are anywhere near PA/NY/NJ, etc ... consider checking this out.

The Giant's Despair hillclimb is going to be HUGE this year. The town always gets behind this event in a big way and this year it is even going to be bigger since it is the 100th Anniversary of the event. This event will be getting more coverage than any of the other hills we run do. SCCA national, along with big magazines (Racer, Grassroots Motorsports, etc) should all be on hand.

There will most likely be some live bands ... some magazines ... there was a rumor last year the Carol Shelby might actually come out for this (haven't heard anything on that this year) ... this is going to be BIG. Car Shelby was the first person to do this hill in under a minute! He did that in 1956 in a Ferrari. Hyde's first attempt at this hill was a blistering 49 seconds!

If there is one hillclimb that is a "must see" it is this one.
From the starting line to the first turn is nearly 1/4-mile uphill and you will see the turbo MR2s surpassing 110 mph or so going into turn #1! The drag racing fans on this site should appreciate the 1/4-mile straight start! Imagine doing a drag race and instead of stopping at the finish you have to nail out a sweeping left-hander!

The celebration of this event is actually starting this weekend coming up and the actual event is the following weekend. I am going to be trailering Hyde up there sometime Thursday. I am meeting one of the other MR2 racers up there and we are setting up camp. I'll be camping up there for 3 days.

Tech/registration is Friday in the a.m. and "touring runs" start at noon on Friday. Racing is all day Sat & Sun.

... it's going to be big I tell you ... Check out AutoWeek:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060626/FREE/60616007/1026/FREE

The actual race is strictly limitd to 100 cars and is only open to people that have raced Giant's in the past and/or have run at least 2 of the PHA hillclimbs this year. Registration is CLOSED, but Hyde is entered and running!

The event is held in Laurel Run, PA.
It's a suburb of Wilkes Barre, PA and sits just off Interstate 81 just north of Interstate 80.

See here: http://www.pahillclimb.org/Courses/Giants.htm

Mapquest for Laurel Run (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=laurel+run&state=pa&zipcode=)

Touring runs start Friday after lunch and timed racing is all day Saturday & Sunday.

So, who can make it out for this one?

JekylandHyde
06-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Cool news:
I am happy to report that I received a message from WVIA-TV, PBS stating they will a video documentary on the 100th Anniversary running of the Giant's Despair Hill Climb.

Add your comment to this topic!