Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Jimmy battery drain

GT11
06-27-2006, 05:23 AM
If my truck sits for 2 or more days, I am certain to have a dead truck at that time. I put a meter in series with the hot side of the battery and set it on DC amps. I watched the meter as I pulled every (one at a time) fuse in the panel and other fuse in the area. In other words I pulled evrything I could find.
The beginning read on the meter was 9.2. Over a period of about two hours the meter was slowly pulled down to about 8.4. On my meter (Fluke 77)I have a bar scale on the bottom of the display. What's weird is all the while I was doing this fuse pulling test, the bar scale was constantly pulsating. From 5 to 9 on the bar scale. Did not matter what fuse I pulled. No increase in the meter reading and the pulsating on the meter bar scale continued. This appears to me that something (whatever) is pulling this battey down slowly over time. BUT WHAT!?
How do I find what is making this meter pulsat and why the battery drain?

Thanks all

GT

dpollard
06-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Can't say for sure but I'm pretty sure there are a few circuits that don't use fuses, headlamps for example. I have had strange battery drain issues due to ground connections when my boat trailer was attached - poor grounds causing current redirects - path of least resistance stuff. Something to think about, good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!