Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel gauge not working properly

pinyo8
08-06-2002, 12:01 AM
Seeing that you guys seem to know heaps. My fuel gauge in my car doesnt work properly. It used to work, but I accidentally fudged it when I replaced the clear perspec of the instruments cluster.

Do you know if its possible to replace just the gauges, or do I need to buy the whole cluster? If so, when I bought my replacement perspec, I bought the cluster as well, but when I plugged it in, some of the lights didnt come on (engine light, oil, etc). Is that because of a dodgy cluster?

Are clusters for the same model car interchangeable? They should be right?

Quick info would be greatly appreciated as I can buy it in NZ(thats where I am now) easier than Aus and I am going back this friday.

Oz
08-06-2002, 01:03 AM
You can swap the whole dash in if you want to. I know Q has done similar work from a ITR on her car. But probs. like you're having with the fuel guage are usually fixable. My mate's tacho didn't work when he got it, took it to an autoelectrician and it's all good now.

EF6_CR-X
08-06-2002, 03:57 AM
You should be able to pick a cluster up for around $150 NZ if you are lucky..

what exactly happened to your fuel guage which resulted in it stuffing up..?
Did you pull the needle off?

It is possible to replace the components seperately, but you would have a hard time trying to find a wrecker that is willing to sell cluster instrument parts individually, especially from an SiR, since alot of NZ wreckers ship them to the US, for all the JDM conversions.

Where are you in NZ at the moment?

Spunkymonkey
08-06-2002, 06:57 AM
did you check to see you didn't bump anything...yeah...clusters should be interchangeable...

I didn't actually put the type R cluster into my car, as my cousin's needed it back, when they were finishing off the CRX B18c5 swap they were doing..just as a reference to something. Besides, the speedo....only went up to 180....and I know my car goes faster than that ;)

where's the original? does that still work.

pinyo8
08-06-2002, 05:06 PM
When I took out the cluster to replace the clear perspex, I accidentally touch the fuel gauge needle to where it shouldnt go. I adjusted it back to the 'E' position and when I turn on my engine, it goes straight up to 'F' and doesnt want to come back down even when the engine is switched off. Now, it only goes down to around half way when it is actually running low on fuel. Its not that bad but I'm pretty picky and seeing that I want to keep this car for a long time, I might as well get it fixed.

what I probably do now is take it to an autoelectrician to see if they can fix it (should be cheaper than $150 right?). Do you think they can do this? If they cant, then I might just order one from NZ.

I'm in Wellington at the moment. I'm quite surprised still as to how much spare parts cost here considering the amount of imported cars...bla bla bla. Been here for a year now but going back this Friday.

Spunkymonkey
08-06-2002, 05:43 PM
Probably a good idea. Try the autoelectrician first :)
that's a bummer about parts.

Add your comment to this topic!