Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First Gear Whine

struenz
06-26-2006, 09:30 AM
This is my first post here. I just bought a '99 Z3 2.5 Roadster this past Saturday. It is an automatic and has 55k miles..Inside and outside are just immaculate. I am hearing a whine when slowing down and the car gets to first gear. It does not happen in any other gear and it is most noticeable when coasting down hill. It does not happen if I have the car in neutral, but rather when it is in drive. Not having driven a BMW Z3 before I don't know if this is normal or something to be concerned about. Can anyone let me know?...thanks

e30m3
06-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Hi, not knowing more specific info about your car. I would be inclined to check the transmission fluid. If it needs topping up then do so, if the level is ok, then get it changed. I use Redline ATF4 in my manual gearbox. It works well, and will be great in your car too.

Cristian

struenz
07-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Can you tell me where to check teh tranny fluid and also where the oil filter is located? thanks

BMWJosh
07-08-2006, 09:58 PM
u check autos on the trans pan,there is a bolt at the top on the side of the trans pan take it off if any comes out then its full and if none comes out u have to fill it with a suction device to squirt the fluid into the pan.

struenz
07-13-2006, 08:12 AM
u check autos on the trans pan,there is a bolt at the top on the side of the trans pan take it off if any comes out then its full and if none comes out u have to fill it with a suction device to squirt the fluid into the pan.

Thanks Josh, really appreciate the response...I will give it a try...

BMWJosh
07-14-2006, 08:57 PM
I just had another thought man its prolly fine since it whines in first "coasting" downhill besides those are most likely 4:11 gears in the rear i'm almost positive they are,in conclusion odds are ur car is fine.

Add your comment to this topic!