Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Base timing 1999 Tahoe 5.7l Votec

radioman2002
06-25-2006, 02:12 PM
It has been a while since I posted this question. Since then the Tahoe forum is gone, so I am reposting it. I had my 1999 5.7l Vortec rebuilt after 157K and a spun bearing. I have tried numerous ways to set the timing and either the car runs as if it's fighting itself or has no power at all. I also get an error code that there is a mismatch between timing.(?)
While parusing other GM forums I noticed that at least with the 3.1l engine there is a plug that must be disconnected to set base timing. Is there such a thing on my 99?

MT-2500
07-01-2006, 05:40 PM
It has been a while since I posted this question. Since then the Tahoe forum is gone, so I am reposting it. I had my 1999 5.7l Vortec rebuilt after 157K and a spun bearing. I have tried numerous ways to set the timing and either the car runs as if it's fighting itself or has no power at all. I also get an error code that there is a mismatch between timing.(?)
While parusing other GM forums I noticed that at least with the 3.1l engine there is a plug that must be disconnected to set base timing. Is there such a thing on my 99?

On a 99 the timing is no adjustable. it is set by the crankshaft sensor.
You can turn the dist all day and not change the timing.
First you need to set the rotor to the no 8 on dist base with no one piston TDC compression.
How ever you will need to set the dist in by setting the cam retard setting with a scanner.
What code no are you getting?
Tahoe forum is still under chev then C&K chev truck/tahoe
MT

radioman2002
07-03-2006, 05:25 PM
I beg to differ about turning the distributor. I can set it so the truck starts with no retard, and starts right away,( but has absolutly no power, wont even make it up my driveway) or with advance where it will fight grunt and groan untill it comes past the crank position sensor TDC. Then it starts OK, but feels like it's fighting itself while driving.
The code is p1354 cps and dist mismatch.
The original Tahoe forum was number 1108, whats the new one?

MT-2500
07-03-2006, 06:45 PM
I beg to differ about turning the distributor. I can set it so the truck starts with no retard, and starts right away,( but has absolutly no power, wont even make it up my driveway) or with advance where it will fight grunt and groan untill it comes past the crank position sensor TDC. Then it starts OK, but feels like it's fighting itself while driving.
The code is p1354 cps and dist mismatch.
The original Tahoe forum was number 1108, whats the new one?

Well you can turn the dist all day long and not change the engine timing.
The base timing is set by the crankshaft sensor and advanced and controled by the VCM.
The dist has nothing to do with the timing.
Kinda like the old gray mare is not what she used to be.
You are luckie it even has a dist anymore.
The only thing to set by turning the dist is the cam retard off set.
The cam retard off set is the pointing of the dist rotor dead on with the plug wire terminal on the dist cap.
Set it to or as close to 0 retard as you can - or + 1-2 degrees .
And lock the dist down.
If it does not run right after that you have another problem.
Not sure what no tahoe forum is under but go to chev. forum and then drop down to
C/K truck/ sub /Tahoe /exc
MT

Add your comment to this topic!