Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Good cold AC!!

Yawbo
06-25-2006, 02:10 PM
I had an R134a conversion on my crx, and my opinion of the ac (when it worked) was that it was very weak.

I drive an integra right now...and the AC on the teg is weak. It does not get cold in the car on hot hot days (100°, high humidity).

I plan to start driving my crx again and I want to know what makes the AC stronger... you guys who take the ac out of the car can talk all you want...I'm driving w/ an air conditioner!! :) What makes the ac stronger though?

pimpmcdaddies
06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Lucky you,us peasants in the UK apparently did not deserve AC and was not available!

Yawbo
06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm still wondering about the AC...one guy I talked to said that AC on an 85 Si must have been added aftermarket. I don't know.

I read on rpr though that AC was a dealer option.

pimpmcdaddies
06-26-2006, 06:35 PM
I saw an imported Civic GTI (Si in USA) on E Bay that had factory AC,electric windows and central locking.Imported Toyota MR2 get AC and a little fridge to keep a few beers in!I guess it's down to economics why UK spec cars missed out on the extras.
Anyway,have you had your AC system serviced?It might just need a clean out and re-gas.

Yawbo
06-27-2006, 07:32 AM
It was serviced a few months ago (the integra), it even cools in 100° weather...but it takes about 5-10 mins to get cool, and it never gets 'cold.' (like 70° on a 100° day...it gets cool, more like 75-80°)

So I'm wanting to know what makes the ac stronger, so I can include that in when I build up my rex.

aquarius
06-27-2006, 10:44 PM
air conditioning is all about freon thats what is the main thing that is keepin it cool

Yawbo
06-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your reply...when I googled the topic the other day, I found someone mention that when they sealed the doors in their car, the ac worked alot better. I might look into this. It was in an article on installing speakers! :D

pimpmcdaddies
06-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Maybe the AC on our 20 year old cars is not as efficient as modern motors?

Yawbo
07-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Maybe the AC on our 20 year old cars is not as efficient as modern motors?

I should have mentioned my buddy drove a '96 Saturn that had far better cooling? Not to mention I've seen better AC in 20 year old Chevys.

Maybe it's the way the doors seal. If I get around to working on that this month, I'll post results.

pimpmcdaddies
07-03-2006, 08:53 PM
If you can't or won't get new seals you can pump up the old ones with sillicone injections (Like the wife but without the moaning and expense).Messy operation so use plenty of masking tape.Got me out of trouble on sunroof seals before...

Add your comment to this topic!