Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

catalytic converter problems please help

GAfan
06-25-2006, 01:37 PM
just a quick question, can a bad temp sensor actually make the car run hot? can the cat converter being clogged cause too much back pressure and cause the water to boil out of the overflow tank? please help me.

Slade901
06-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Usually the radiator cooling fans uses the temp sensor when to turn ON the fans and if they are defective then the radiator fan won't work.

If the catalytic converter is clogged up, your engine won't have much power to move and your engine will work harder to expel the exhaust out of the clogged catalytic converter and could increase the temperature in the engine and run high on the temperature.

Make sure your thermostat is not defective as it might be stuck close and not allow the coolant to circulate and causes the coolant to boil over.

GAfan
06-25-2006, 05:34 PM
it has a new thermostat and water pump and it actually smells like exhaust coming up through the overflow. Please help

maxwedge
06-25-2006, 06:18 PM
You should have the cooling system checked for exhaust gases using a chemical checking kit available at most parts stores, this will check for a possible head gasket problem, also state the year and engine in your car. This is a must when posting and the exact symptoms you are experiencing, all this info missing is making it difficult to help you.

78silverbird
06-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Well I just had to have my cat changed and the way my muffler guy checked to see if it was clogged was by putting his hand over the tailpipe, had me rev it up and checked for flow pressure with his hand. I would say if you don't feel a lot of pressure pushing your hand back you have a clogged cat. Hope it helps.

Slade901
06-25-2006, 06:43 PM
BTW, did you do a coolant flush after replacing the water pump and thermostat?

BTW, why did you replace the water pump and thermostat in the first place. Did you replace the water pump yourself or someone else?
Did you verify that the thermostat was not installed upside down?

Does your coolant have some kind of oil on it?

Make sure your radiator fan is working first. You can run the vehicle and let it IDLE for 10 - 15 minutes and it should have already kicked in your radiator fan.

GAfan
06-25-2006, 08:22 PM
what do i do if it has exhaust i the coolant system? why does it do that? it is a 2000 ga gt 3.4 v6 it has a complete set of new gaskets, water pump, and thermostat. all done myself. someone please help me

maxwedge
06-25-2006, 09:12 PM
what do i do if it has exhaust i the coolant system? why does it do that? it is a 2000 ga gt 3.4 v6 it has a complete set of new gaskets, water pump, and thermostat. all done myself. someone please help me
If after you actually verify this as suggested with the proper test, you can assume a head gasket is leaking, new or not, but why assume this without checking it out properly.

Add your comment to this topic!