Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 Rodeo V6 oil filter wrench

Fluvannahoo
06-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Can anybody recommend a wrench that can remove the oil filter on 2002 v6 Rodeo. My old metal band type wrench just won't work in the close quarters and I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Ramblin Fever
06-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Which oil filter?

Motorcraft and OEM Isuzu filters use the same cap wrench; but I have never found a cap wrench that continuously works with other filters that go on our engines - they'll work once, and then that's it. This is one reason why I like OEM filters - easy on/easy off, except I now have a Napa Gold, and I know none of the cap wrench's I have will fit it, but it's not due to come off for at least another 4k miles.

marcre
06-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Not sure if your Rodeo is the exact same as mine, but I'm almost sure it is. I had a hard time getting my wrench(same as yours) to work until I found the perfect anfle, now it works like a charm. Not sure if you remove the skid plate, if you don't, you should. It makes it a lot easier.

marc

amigo-2k
06-25-2006, 02:46 PM
I use the strap kind and have zero problems with getting mine off with the skid plate removed.

Fluvannahoo
06-25-2006, 03:37 PM
I use oem filters I buy online when I can get them. Is there a specific brand of wrench (cap) I should be looking for?

Which oil filter?

Motorcraft and OEM Isuzu filters use the same cap wrench; but I have never found a cap wrench that continuously works with other filters that go on our engines - they'll work once, and then that's it. This is one reason why I like OEM filters - easy on/easy off, except I now have a Napa Gold, and I know none of the cap wrench's I have will fit it, but it's not due to come off for at least another 4k miles.

Fluvannahoo
06-25-2006, 04:48 PM
My strap wrench is an all purpose one and it may be just a tad too large. I have no problem with the filter on the 95 Rodeo but just not enough space to work with from above on the 2002. What is involved with removing the skid plate? It has never been off unless the dealer removes it for servicing. I am going to start doing my own oil changes on the 2002 to offset the increase in fuel prices. I've always done them on the 95.

I use the strap kind and have zero problems with getting mine off with the skid plate removed.

rodeo02
06-25-2006, 04:56 PM
I forget exactly which band type of filter wrench I needed to get the OEM filter off my 2002. It was a "plews" brand, medium sized wrench IIRC. I lent it out and never got it back.:disappoin You should never need a filter wrench once you put on your own oil filter. If you need a wrench to remove it, it was on way too tight. All u ever need is hand snug for an oil filter.

Joel

marcre
06-25-2006, 05:07 PM
What is involved with removing the skid plate?

There are four bolts to remove. May be on tight, but they'll come off. I put some bearing grease on mine after the first removal and it comes off easier now.

Fluvannahoo
06-25-2006, 05:58 PM
This will be the first time the dealer hasn't done tho oil change on this truck and you are right they really tightened the filter, I can't budge it without mechanical help.

I forget exactly which band type of filter wrench I needed to get the OEM filter off my 2002. It was a "plews" brand, medium sized wrench IIRC. I lent it out and never got it back.:disappoin You should never need a filter wrench once you put on your own oil filter. If you need a wrench to remove it, it was on way too tight. All u ever need is hand snug for an oil filter.

Joel

johnsm
06-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Clean any dirt and oil off the filter and put on those yellow dishwashing gloves and turn it off. The filter still might not come off but it is worth a try. Sometimes it is only a matter of grip. The filter should only be installed hand tight and come off by hand

John

boaz2020
06-29-2006, 08:42 AM
I use oil filter pliers for this task. Mine is made by Matco http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2125&page=9籈. They crush and destroy the filter when taking off a stuborn filter but I've yet to see them fail. Also I'm sure you could find a cheaper set, I got mine while working as a mechanic, and rather than look at HF or the like just bought them off the truck. I'd have to agree with rodeo02, if you need a wrench you either A.) Put the filter on too tightly B.) Forgot to lubricate the gasket with clean oil. C.) Have oil all over your hands and cannot get a firm grip on the canister :grinyes:.

-Phil

Add your comment to this topic!