Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Spark plug question:

hshawn31
06-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Anyone know why most of my plugs would be coated in oil? They are saturated when i removed them....

1995 rodeo 4x4
3.2L 105,000 miles

hshawn31
06-24-2006, 04:21 PM
By the way, the oil was only on 4 of the 6....the oil was NOT on the electrode itself just the insulator, but there was alot of oil...it wasn't dirty oil either. ( No i didnt spill oil into the plug wells ) Hope this isnt a gasket prob. or piston ring problem

Gizmo42
06-24-2006, 05:23 PM
First check/change the pcv valve. If it isnt working right it can pressurize the crankcase and cause oil to seep through gaskets.

If that doesnt work then its time to replace valve cover gaskets and the plug tower rings.

hshawn31
06-25-2006, 12:03 PM
thx, i will do the check this afternoon. Working on the fuel filter now...pain in the butt too!

rodeo02
06-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Yes, the plug tower O-ring seals do tend to seep a little oil. Personally, I would leave them alone unless you have to pull a vlv cover to replace it's seal.

Joel

surferfletch
06-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes, the plug tower O-ring seals do tend to seep a little oil. Personally, I would leave them alone unless you have to pull a vlv cover to replace it's seal.

Joel
I'd agree. Never hurt the driveability, so don't be concerned. How are the valve cover gaskets? Original at 105K?

hshawn31
06-26-2006, 06:35 PM
ok, checked the pcv valve...it was sucking like a champ...no problems there. The oil wasnt black, almost looked brand new, so i dont think its a gasket. The plugs themselves werre NASTY!! I would almost say they were original plugs!!! They werent even gapped right.

I installed the new ones, correctly gapped, and she starts right up like a champ, unlike before. Oh, the plug towers were fine, a little bit of oil at the bottom of them, but other than that clean.

Also changed the fuel filter...that was fun!! Teh bracket was fused shut with rust, so i had to methodically pry open the bracket enough to slide out the filter. I poured out the fuel that was in the filter and it looked like mud...thats no exageration either. nasty.

Next job: tranny fluid change

Ramblin Fever
06-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Next job: tranny fluid change

Hmmm, FUN! :cwm27:

Add your comment to this topic!