Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

blower switch broken

graysky
06-24-2006, 07:06 AM
The blower switch in a 1999 Grand Am GT doesn't work in all the positions. If the selector is on number 1 or 2 the fan doesn't run at all. If it's on 3 or higher it runs just fine. Does this sound like a bad switch? If so, how difficult is it to swap that part out? Before you respond, I have never taken a dash out before, the most complicated automobile maintenance I can do replacing a headlight or changing an oil filter!

xeroinfinity
06-25-2006, 09:36 AM
The blower switch in a 1999 Grand Am GT doesn't work in all the positions. If the selector is on number 1 or 2 the fan doesn't run at all. If it's on 3 or higher it runs just fine. Does this sound like a bad switch? If so, how difficult is it to swap that part out? Before you respond, I have never taken a dash out before, the most complicated automobile maintenance I can do replacing a headlight or changing an oil filter!

its the blower resistor, its located in the passenger side floor, up by the blower motor.
Actually its Behind the blow :( Big PITA to get to, heres a pic of an Old/New (http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/xeroinfinity/AUTOMOBILES/blowerresistr.jpg) one ... the left one is new, as you can see teh right one is Toast.

the easiest way to change it is to remover the blow motor, this will giv you more room to get the very back screw.
Good Luck

jccubs
09-13-2006, 08:57 AM
It's the blower motor resistor. I changed that and the troubles went away - well that is until the motor itself went out. Neither one is too difficult to change, but not exactly made for anyone over say, 3 feet tall to do. The resistor was a little tricky because it's a 5.5mm bolt and the recessed area will not completely allow for a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket to fit. If anyone has a better suggestion for the tool to use please post it. The blower motor bolts were 7mm and I just used a nut driver to remove them. Took me about an hour and if I did it again It would be less than 10 minutes.

xeroinfinity
09-13-2006, 09:30 AM
10 minutes ??
I dont think so , maybe 20 ,
Unless you are three feet tall :lol:

The easiest way to reach the resistor bolts is with a 1/4"ratchet, 3" extension, and a tight swivle joint w/5mm.
Gets right up in there.

I kinda got stuck under the dash of a GP once :shakehead
Totally freaked me out :O for a minute any ways.

Welcome to AF jccubs !

jccubs
09-13-2006, 10:14 AM
I kinda got wedged under there for a second too. I'm certainly not planning to - but I'm certain thet the motor can be changed in 10 minutes - the resistor maybe 20 is a better guess - I know they want to save space, but that recess could be 1/4" bigger then there would be no problem at all. After changing the blower motor it works fine on speeds 1-4, but on speed 5 the fan itself is spinning just fast enough to rub against something - I'm not sure what and don't care - I was without air for a while and can live with the noise (at least until the weaker part grinds down!).

xeroinfinity
09-13-2006, 10:18 AM
blower is probly not centered in the opening.

Add your comment to this topic!