Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil in the Air Filter? What's this?

Mozhoven
06-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Hello All,

I've had about all the problems you've seen here already:

-Hesitation
-Broken Timing Belt
-Engine Whining
-Skipped Gears
-Codes Galore

But now, for the first time, I'm seeing oil in the air filter and a little puddle just underneath it in the case (for the air filter). Any clue as to what is going on here?

Just had an oil change, and just recently the car has developed a high-pitched "whining" during acceleration. Also, about 4 times in a row, the car seems to "miss" a gear when shifting up. It's managed to work (so far), but I don't think it'll fix itself.

Any ideas? (at least about the oil...):banghead:

pre98zetec
06-24-2006, 02:22 PM
it's normal.. blow off from the valve cover.

my zetecs 'whines' at around 4,000 RPM+.. sound like a mini supercharger.

Mozhoven
06-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah, it's always "whined" around 4000rpm, but this one is new. It's much higher pitched than before and seems like there's a general loss of power. Not much, but it's noticable.

Also: the 2nd gear sometimes sounds like it's having trouble catching. It's not consistent, but it happens more often than I would like. When it's not doing that, it "kicks" pretty hard into second. Feels like you're being hit from behind. These problems are new and haven't happened before.

Any clues?

P.S. About the oil in the Air Filter- it's "inside" the air filter case - a good puddle of it - just underneath the air filter. Is that from blow-off, or something else?

pre98zetec
06-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah, it's always "whined" around 4000rpm, but this one is new. It's much higher pitched than before and seems like there's a general loss of power. Not much, but it's noticable.

Also: the 2nd gear sometimes sounds like it's having trouble catching. It's not consistent, but it happens more often than I would like. When it's not doing that, it "kicks" pretty hard into second. Feels like you're being hit from behind. These problems are new and haven't happened before.

Any clues?

P.S. About the oil in the Air Filter- it's "inside" the air filter case - a good puddle of it - just underneath the air filter. Is that from blow-off, or something else?the oil puddle is normal.. use to happen every once-in-a-while on mine.

The whining and loss of power i can't give you any help on that.

The tranny 'jerking'.. does this happen when shifting into second at WOT or just normal driving? If i get on it hard in first and before it shifts into second i let off it jerks pretty violently.

Check out www.contour.org and check out the forums part.. Lots of good info there.

Add your comment to this topic!