Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2 quick questions

hshawn31
06-23-2006, 03:00 PM
I am going to replace my spark plugs. Any brand(s) i should stay away from? Are there any that make the friggin tick any quieter?

Also, I am going to replace my fuel filter this weekend...i have the haynes manual but i'm too lazy to read it right now. Is this going to be a pain in the butt?

1995 Rodeo 4x4
3.2L V6

Ramblin Fever
06-23-2006, 05:42 PM
NGK plugs.

What do you mean quieter - lifter tick?

What kind of oil filter and oil viscosity are you running?

marcre
06-23-2006, 06:13 PM
as far as the spark plugs, I'd go with what the manual recommends.

For the tick, I have no experience with a 95 as I have a 99, but, maybe try auto RX on it. When I got my Rodeo two years ago there was a ticking sound at highway speed, especially when I punched the throttle. I didn't think much about it, I actually thought it was coming from the dash area. I used seafoam in my engine a couple times and the noise hasn't come back. I used Auto RX last summer as well. Actually, I just dumped a bottle in my Rodeo this afternoon as well.

I will say this, I burn less oil now than I did when I first got the Rodeo. Take that for what it's worth, because I have done all of the routine maintenance on the Rodeo as well.

About the Auto RX, I don't know if it works, I am no expert. But, all the people at BITOG claiming it as great seems nice, as do all of the people who are really into it that pull their engines apart to show the before and after pics. I really believe products are more beneficial to certain engines as apposed to others. My engine seems to have benefitted from seafoam and Auto RX.

The Rodeo seems to run better today than it did when I took delivery on it. As I said before, I have done a bit of maintenance to it. But even after all that, the difference was noticeable after the two engine cleaners. Every once in a while I can't believe how smooth and powerful it seems, quiet too(for an SUV and from what it was). There were a few times I didn't enjoy driving the Rodeo and almost regretted getting it. It's amazing how simple maintenance can make those feelings change real fast.

marc

Gizmo42
06-23-2006, 07:02 PM
For spark plugs I'd stay away from champion brand. Only because I've had no luck with them. I prefer denso with ngk a close second.

Learn to live with the ticking. Hydralic lash adjusters do that. Mistubishi had the same design and their boards are full of posts about that. Auto rx or seafoam cleanings might help free them up and quiet them down a bit but it will never go away. On my mitsu I used that as an oil level gauge. If one or more lifters didnt quiet down shortly after starting I knew I was 1 qt low on oil.

Fuel filters are a bit of a pain to do. I think the 1st gens had them in the same place as the 2nd gens, on the frame on the drivers side. First tip is to pull the fuse for the fuel pump and start the engine. Run it until it stops. That will releive all the pressure in the line. The hoses can be a pain to get off the filter. After the hose clamps are moved back use a pair of pliers to twist the hoses, that will free them up. Pay attention to the markings on the old and new filters so you get it installed right, they are directional.

*plan to take a shower afterwards* no matter what you do you will get gas running down your arm so your arm and back are going to be soaked with gas. You can clamp the hoses so its not so bad but will still get quite a bit out of the filter.

Remember to reinstal the fuel pump fuse when done

hshawn31
06-23-2006, 08:19 PM
thanks for the replies guys. As for the ticking i know i'll have to live with it but sometimes it just seems to get really loud...I'll check the oil tomorrow. And thinking that the new plugs would quiet it down a bit is from have a mustang that had a plug bridging the gap creating a ticking noise...just thinking this might be the case here. Besides, who knows when the plugs were changed last.

Thanks Gizmo for the info on the fuel filter...the haynes doesnt say anything about the fuse. I would have made a he@# of a mess!!

Ramblin Fever
06-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Plugs for sure can play a part in ticking. I personally allowed my last set of plugs to stay in for 80k miles - WAY too long, but I'd literally spaced it as the truck had been running so well and our other vehicle had a lot of issues during the last 15-20k of those 80k miles on the Rodeo.

Well the time came that it needed a tune-up, didn't want to push it, and gas mileage was starting to weaken, after new plugs, BIG difference, and it did quiet the engine down immensely.

But, so did a new timing belt, tensioner and waterpump. It's REAL quiet now.

Canucklehead
06-24-2006, 07:39 AM
For spark plugs I'd stay away from champion brand. Only because I've had no luck with them. I prefer denso with ngk a close second.

Learn to live with the ticking. Hydralic lash adjusters do that. Mistubishi had the same design and their boards are full of posts about that. Auto rx or seafoam cleanings might help free them up and quiet them down a bit but it will never go away. On my mitsu I used that as an oil level gauge. If one or more lifters didnt quiet down shortly after starting I knew I was 1 qt low on oil.

Fuel filters are a bit of a pain to do. I think the 1st gens had them in the same place as the 2nd gens, on the frame on the drivers side. First tip is to pull the fuse for the fuel pump and start the engine. Run it until it stops. That will releive all the pressure in the line. The hoses can be a pain to get off the filter. After the hose clamps are moved back use a pair of pliers to twist the hoses, that will free them up. Pay attention to the markings on the old and new filters so you get it installed right, they are directional.

*plan to take a shower afterwards* no matter what you do you will get gas running down your arm so your arm and back are going to be soaked with gas. You can clamp the hoses so its not so bad but will still get quite a bit out of the filter.

Remember to reinstal the fuel pump fuse when doneGizmo is bang on except that the fuel filter is on the frame rail on the passenger's side by the rear tire. Additionally, remove the gas cap and the fuel pump relay in order to relieve pressure in the fuel line.

hshawn31
06-24-2006, 08:45 AM
i agree Ramblin...i bought this from a dealer who got it from a rent a car company. Its only had the basic maint. done. I'm sure the plugs are still probably stock, and with 105, 000 miles, their probably why i have horrible gas mileage ( around 13 mpg ) we'll see though

Add your comment to this topic!