Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sporty daily driver <5k

Gafoto
06-21-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm in college right now (a junior) so I'm starting to look at used cars. I expect to have somewhere less than 5k by the time I actually purchase a car which will be at least a year from now. So here's what I need:

Reasonable gas mileage, I need it to be >25 on the highway
Fun to drive around the corners
Can be a coupe or 4 door
I have to fit, I'm about 6'4" so somethings just don't work.

The car I drive now is my parents 98 Civic coupe (I actually fit) which I had to beg them into buying several years ago. I was going to buy that from them at blue book value next year except now the car is worth more than what we paid for it, even after 1.5 years and 23k miles. On top of that my parents now love driving the car.

From what I can see both Civics and Preludes have incredibly bloated prices compared to what they used to cost so both of those options are out I think.

My candidates right now:
240SX SE
V6 Mustang
V6 Camaro
Integra (it's the same price as a civic for christs sake)

I've got sporty cars up here but I'm not really a road racer, I most likely won't be doing anything to the car.

These are just the cars that have come to mind, what else has a little kick to it and can run reliably?

drdisque
06-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Saturn SC2 - very peppy and lightweight
Focus ZX3 - Great handling, good power
Infiniti G20 - great feel and SR20DE power

camaroincal
06-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Well I've owned a 97 Camaro 3.8 liter V6 with 200 hp 225 tq stock and a 5-speed for about 5 years now. The car gets 25 mpg on average and has plenty of get up and go. Mine also has t-tops for when the weather is nice. It corners very well. I have nice wide Goodyear tires on mine. Don't listen to people that say that it's only for a straight line. That's a load of bull. Although, if you've never driven a rear-wheel drive car before, take it slow at first as you have to learn the limits of cornering in a rwd car. That's very important. But, I highly recommend any 96+ f-body. I would stay away from the 93-95 f-body with the 3.4 V6. It only has 160 hp and gets WORSE mileage than the 3.8.

camaroincal
06-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Also I see you are 6'4. These kind of cars seem like they are specially made for tall people. Tons of leg room and shoulder room. I'm 6'1 and I also have plenty of head room.

93-240SX-COUPE
07-07-2006, 04:50 AM
6' 0'' and I still have plenty of room.

240 wont compare with the power of a stang or camaro, unless u do a swap and bolt ons later on, but then again you are not gonna find many stangs or camaros for less than 5.

And if u had to choose between a 240 and a teg, choose the RWD.

Add your comment to this topic!