Page updated on 06-24-2018

More ?'s

06-21-2006, 06:56 PM
I keep running into ?'s so I'm just gonna post the rest of them here.
1. Is there any way to get just the plates that would match the type of turbo that I'm using (for ex. the rectangle exaust mani plate and the round down pipe plate for garrett turbos)?

2. Are all external wastegates able to mount to the same fitting (ex. round 38mm Tial fitting) or are there different types of fittings?

3. Peak and hold DSM injectors seem to be a common upgrade for turbo setups on Hondas, Why? Is it more expensive to use higher CC injectors made for the Civic rather than add the resistor box?

4. For low boost applications, would it be worth it to upgrade the internals to something stronger and what internals are stronger and more suited for boost than the D15B7 internals (pistons, connecting rods, valves, springs)?

5. Replacing the head bolts before you boost is a must. Does anyone make high performance bolts for Civics other than ARP and if so does it cost more or less than buying stock bolts from Honda (about $10 per bolt).

6. I noticed in the Boost "How To" thread that some wastegates dump open air and some use a dump tube that goes into the down pipe. Do open air type wastegates cause problems passing emmisions in most states and does anyone live in NC that knows if an open air wastegate on a 5th gen Civic would pass emissions?
If I think of anything else I'll post in new posts.

06-21-2006, 11:54 PM
1. I think you're talking about adapter plates for a VX/HX manifold and yes, they make them. Search Weirtech and you'll find what you need.

2. There are 3 fittings for ex. wg's. The 38mm is the oval, the 44 is a round flange w/ a v-band, and the 46, 48, 54 are square w/ four bolt holes. Most setups are fine w/ the 38mm.....

3. DSM injectors are easy to use, cheap and available. I wired in a resistor box for my RC 550s and it was easy...either route works.

4. Most D's will hold 200whp. On they generally say that 230whp is the max for stock internals on a D. On the contrary though, i was at Sabin International Dragway and saw Nick Tufte (local guy i know) who runs StraightLineSpecialties out of Fargo ND, and he was running a car that made around 350whp on a stock D16. The car ran mid to low 12s!!

5. Replacing headbolts isn't a must...i have a 300whp stock internal GSR and i dont have headbolts. GSR's have metal HGs to start w/ though so i'm not too worried. If you're not pushing a lot of boost or making a ton of power, ARPs are a waste of time.

6. FInally to the WG question.....if NC has emissions tests that require you to have a catalytic converter, then you should run a closed loop dump and a cat. If you dont have the closed loop, you run the risk of failing emissions. In ND....where i live....nobody has to worry about emissions so i have no cat and an open dump.

----If you have any more questions, post them or feel free to PM me

06-22-2006, 12:11 AM
OK, do you need a wideband O2 to use AFC or SAFC, and if so, is it easy to wire in?

About the plates, I meant the actuall plate that would be found on a turbo mani or DP. My local custom shop doesn't know if they can fab the parts and I don't want to spend $600 on a top mount eq mani if I can get by with $300 which is what they are quoting me.

06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
if its a standard turbo, you should be able to pick up almost any T3 flanged manifold (or T2 if you're running a DSM turbo)

With the SAFC, you don't need a wideband, but personally i wouldn't use that for my management. Get a P28 or P06 chipped and tune it properly. You will make more power and do it more safely

06-22-2006, 12:15 AM
Which civic is the P28 from and what is a P06? Never heard of that one.

06-22-2006, 12:17 AM
P28 is a DOHC VTEC ECU...the P06 is from the OBD1 Civics....(92-95 Civics are OBD1)

06-22-2006, 12:19 AM
So I would just need to get my ECU chipped. I've been reading on about chipping and mapping. Is there any way to change the maps without burning a new chip?

06-22-2006, 12:21 AM have to get a reburnable chip in order to do that....since you already have the ECU, it wouldn't be wise to get anything else. You could get your ECU tuned (and chipped at the same time) much cheaper than buying an SAFC and getting that tuned...

06-22-2006, 12:30 AM
I would really like to make the changes myself but I guess that if I'm going to boost now then I'll have someone tune for me untill I can afford to do it myself.

06-22-2006, 12:33 AM
i would let someone else tune it and watch what they do so that you have a better idea of how to do it. When i get my GSR tuned again, i'm going to pay attention so that i can eventually learn to tune it myself. I have Crome on this laptop and i would only need a datalogging cable and a wideband to be able to tune myself (my buddy Pete has a chip burner)

Add your comment to this topic!