Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 Chevy Astro Van Wiring Diagram

johnnyJJC
06-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Well, I dunno what happened, I've never had problems with this van, I bought it 4 months ago from a respectable dealership and this morning it just wouldn't start. For some reason im guessing its a loose connection somewhere and that it has to do with the alternator because when i turn the car "on" the gauges show that its giving me 12 volts, then when I try to start it, it goes directly to 0. I don't know if im guessing right, but anywho, does anyone have a wiring diagram or someway to help me out?

MT-2500
06-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Well, I dunno what happened, I've never had problems with this van, I bought it 4 months ago from a respectable dealership and this morning it just wouldn't start. For some reason im guessing its a loose connection somewhere and that it has to do with the alternator because when i turn the car "on" the gauges show that its giving me 12 volts, then when I try to start it, it goes directly to 0. I don't know if im guessing right, but anywho, does anyone have a wiring diagram or someway to help me out?

First thing check your battery and cables and connections.
Does lights and horn and heater blower work ok?
MT

Kings-x59
06-21-2006, 11:23 PM
start with the simple things, battery terminals like Mt said.
baking soda in water removes corrosion really well, then remove oxidation with sandpaper. track all the black wires from the battery to their connection points, make sure these are clean and making good contact.
here's a link to wiring diagrams http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/11/91/01/0900823d80119101.jsp

cut n paste it into the address box in internet explorer. hit the enter key.
the battery can be ok, the alternator can be ok, but if the voltage regulator on the alternator goes out, the battery doesn't charge correctly and the batter doesn't have enough amps to start the engine.
to test the battery, alternator, and voltage regulator you'll need a digital mulimeter, which you can get for about 20 bucks (u.s.).
check the batter connections and ground connections first and post back.
I'll dig up the testing procedure for the alternator/v.r./battery in the meantime.

Add your comment to this topic!