1995 BMW 740iL - "TRANS FAILSAF PROG" msg on dashboard

limonboy
06-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi Everyone,
I wondered if anyone can help me out. I recently bought a '95 beamer 740il with 89094 miles on it. It runs well all the time I had the car upon til recently, where I got a message on the dashboard saying "TRANS FAILSAFE PROGRAM". When that msg shows up, the car runs like it started on the fourth or five gear, and it takes a while to pick up speed. I recently changed the Transmission Fluid to that expensive Esso LT 71141 along with the transmission filter, and yet the message still shows up on the board. It would disappear when I turn off the car, but when it's back on, and I press on the gas, the car goes back into that safe mode and it drives slow. It's as if the 1st and 2nd gears are misfiring, because the car suddenly starts on the higher shifts (4th and 5ft).

Can anybody give any insight on what can I do to remedy this problem? PLEASE HELP N' ADVISE. I appreciate any feedback anyone does have on this issue.

Bear
06-22-2006, 10:24 AM
These cars are very sensitive to low voltage. You could try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes (have radio code avaialble) and then reconnecting to see if that will clear the problem. Aslo check both the battery and altenator voltages as they will affect the computer porgramming. I would also go to roadfly.com and the E38 board and search for trans failsafe program.

BMWJosh
07-09-2006, 12:12 AM
yeah disco the battery if that don't work trans is bad,btw i never change any automatic BMW filter cuz my boss said he worked at a dealer and says that kills the trans 8 outta 10 times so i don't change the filter.

bmwgolfguy
07-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Beamer is a bike. Bimmer is a car. Sorry about that

hdouglasus
11-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I have a 98 740il and had the same problem. The problem was old transmission fluid. Even though bmw saids that their fluid never need changing that is not true. take the car to a mechanic and have the transmission back flush and change fluid. bmw fluid is very expensive but I founded out that amsol fluid is excellant for this car and it costs $10.00 a quart instead of $40.00 a quart from bmw and others.

Bear
11-03-2007, 08:44 AM
I have a friend in Northern California and hew owns two AAMCO franchises, he tells me the best thing that ever happened to him was life time transmission fluid

stanz2000
11-09-2007, 11:40 PM
I had a 1990 735 with the same problem. The problem became worst until I ended up replacing the transmission but still had the same problem,only every once in a while.never when I took it to the transmission shop who did the work under warranty.Finally someone told me there was a computer for the transmission located in the passengers side kick well.I replaced this computer via junkyard for about 40 dollars and never had any more problems.Its been about 3 years now. good luck.Dealer wanted about 500 dollars for this part.

cadillac dave
11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
i have a 99 750il,
i had the same problem it cost me 6 grand with a 2 year warrentee and its been a year now and working fine .listen to the low cost suggestions first
dont drive it until it's fixed . good luck i wish i were more help.

rharris@truvista.n
05-22-2008, 10:33 AM
I have a 1994 740i and the "trans program" displays on occassion but when i shut the car off and restart it goes out? do i need to change the fluid it and the screen or is there a modular that i can replace myself to stop this? Thanks for the advice and suggestions

Add your comment to this topic!