Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Polar Lights GTO

Deviant
06-20-2006, 01:48 PM
I would like to ask, for whomever has done so, what product/method have you used to strip the paint off of Polar Lights' GTO? I am not sure what products/methods will and won't work on the paint. I have the 2005 yellow drift version by the way.

Deviant
06-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Shit meant to post in Car Modeling section. I suck at life.

SkylineMan32
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
I just clear coated the Car and polished it, made the A6 decal thats Rhys'. I also did a roll cage, and cold air intake. Then I painted the chassis, interior, motor, etc. To be honest this is a shitty model, I was pissed it didn't have the big aero kit on the box. I would assume that Castrol Super Clean, thinner, or Brasso Metal polish should work.

blubaja
06-20-2006, 06:22 PM
You can just buy the unpainted AMT release.

Exotics_Builder
06-20-2006, 06:56 PM
As mentioned above, the AMT release is the 04 Polar Lights GTO unpainted. Otherwise, I used Polly S Easy Lift Off and got the paint off the PL kit.

Gerry

Jay!
06-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Shit meant to post in Car Modeling section. I suck at life.
Fixed. :)

tigeraid
06-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Yup, I used brake fluid for this:

http://efnetcars.com/gallery/d/5324-2/gto_finished2.jpg

Deviant
06-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Ok I have a new dilemma, the car is successfully stripped, but I have realized that the windshield has a yellow banner. My question now is can I strip this off of the windshield with brake fluid, or will it potentially damage the clear parts?

cyberkid
06-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Not worth risking with brake fluid, in my experiance the clear parts fog after a short period of time. I'm not sure what alchohol would do but I'm guessing using alchohol to strip it is the 'safest' method.

73superduty
06-22-2006, 09:27 AM
I would tend to agree with cyberkid on the alcohol for the tampo on the windshield.
I would also recommend nail polish remover without acetone. Then a good polishing with some novus would get it to shine out.
Chris

ZoomZoomMX-5
06-22-2006, 09:33 AM
I would tend to agree with cyberkid on the alcohol for the tampo on the windshield.
I would also recommend nail polish remover with acetone. Then a good polishing with some novus would get it to shine out.
Chris

I would think that would be "without" acetone; acetone would eat clear styrene alive.

cyberkid
06-22-2006, 10:45 AM
I would think that would be "without" acetone; acetone would eat clear styrene alive.
:iagree: acetone is VERY curousive (is that how you spell it :screwy: ), basically... acetone will have the clear plastic for lunch :rolleyes:
Another way that I just thought of is to sand it off, then compount/ wax to get the 'glass' back to glass looking :grinyes: I've seen this done before but never had the nerve to do it myself..:nono:

73superduty
06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
oooh, my bad guys, Wasn't even thinking. See whathappens when you get up at 4 a.m.!
Sorry for the misinformation. I edited my post.
Chris

Add your comment to this topic!