Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AMS runs 9.23@160mph

Mad_Maxima
06-20-2006, 12:53 AM
http://media.ams-evo8.com/videos/amsevo/923run.wmv :worshippy

This is their second time out with the current set-up, car is freaking awesome.

streetrcr45
06-20-2006, 01:42 AM
damn...that thing is bouncing all over the place.

Underground_Killah
06-20-2006, 01:49 AM
yep, it bounced all the way to a 9 sec 1/4

that is a fast evo

streetrcr45
06-20-2006, 01:56 AM
hahah yes it did....definitely a fast bugger....

is it stilll putting down 826 hp... or is it ,more now...i seem to remember that number last time.

Igovert500
06-20-2006, 02:18 AM
Never get tired of watching that thing

Mad_Maxima
06-20-2006, 02:25 AM
is it stilll putting down 826 hp... or is it ,more now...i seem to remember that number last time.

Their curent set-up is making 988 AWHP(heres a vid of the dyno run http://media.ams-evo8.com/videos/amsevo/AMS988.wmv). They are still tweaking some things and getting used to the extra power so thats why the track run wasn't as smooth as it could be, they kinda bogged it and it was swerving some on the driver, times should get better along with a better 60 time.

turtlecrxsi
06-20-2006, 08:29 AM
yep, it bounced all the way to a 9 sec 1/4

that is a fast evo

:1:

2.2 Straight six
06-20-2006, 08:53 AM
hahah yes it did....definitely a fast bugger....

RC developments here in the UK built a 930bhp evo.

and Norris Designs have a 800bhp evo coupe, chasing a 8 sec 1/4. they've removed 300kg from its kerb weight.

TatII
06-20-2006, 09:23 AM
RC developments here in the UK built a 930bhp evo.

and Norris Designs have a 800bhp evo coupe, chasing a 8 sec 1/4. they've removed 300kg from its kerb weight.

yeah but thats 930bhp which means crank hp. AMS makes 988whp which is the hp measured at all 4 wheels. so you factor in the 25% powertrain loss and its making 1235 bhp. which blows the norris design's evo away.

i read european import mags occasionally and i'm usually not too impressed with the power they make or its straightline power. ( i know its not that popular there )

but i've yet to see any import there making well over 1000whp like how sound performance here made a few 1300+whp ( with a chevy powerglide auto tranny ) or 1625bhp supras.

CivRacer95
06-20-2006, 11:14 AM
I've actually been looking on the AMS Evo from time to time. When I first saw one ripping on several Cobras, Sarties, and such, I wanted to see what else would come of it.

Are they still using the Twin Charged (SC'ed and TC'ed) setup they were using before? Even if they are, which I don't doubt they aren't, their cars are absolutely amazing.

2.2 Straight six
06-20-2006, 11:32 AM
yeah but thats 930bhp which means crank hp. AMS makes 988whp which is the hp measured at all 4 wheels. so you factor in the 25% powertrain loss and its making 1235 bhp. which blows the norris design's evo away.

but i've yet to see any import there making well over 1000whp like how sound performance here made a few 1300+whp ( with a chevy powerglide auto tranny ) or 1625bhp supras.[/quote]

in Britain we say bhp, i've never heard a british person say whp. i don't know where they meansure it. so there's nothing to say that it wasn't at the wheels.

i don't know where you got 25% drivetrain loss from, do you know the exact loss from their car? there's no universal percentage to account for drivetrail loss.

but i've yet to see any import there making well over 1000whp like how sound performance here made a few 1300+whp ( with a chevy powerglide auto tranny ) or 1625bhp supras.

there's the Sumo Power skyline and the RB Motorsport one, as well as the RK Tuning GT-R all of which are pushing over 1,000bhp. and dipping into the mid to low nines.

Roger Clarke Motorsport built an 8-second Impreza, 860bhp. which is the world's fastest manual transmission impreza. they have a website, you can look the car and the full article up.

if you still don't beileve me i can scan the magazines with them.

just because YOU haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist.

-The Stig-
06-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Man, that must be a weird feeling at 160mph reaching and hitting the 'chute.

Chris, when you english say BHP, you're refering to the crank horsepower, as in what manufactures claim on new vehicles. WHP, wheel horsepower, is what the cars dyno out at.

Which is why a C6 Z06 has 505bhp, but will dyno out at roughly 450whp.:thumbsup:

TatII
06-20-2006, 02:34 PM

Chris, when you english say BHP, you're refering to the crank horsepower, as in what manufactures claim on new vehicles. WHP, wheel horsepower, is what the cars dyno out at.

Which is why a C6 Z06 has 505bhp, but will dyno out at roughly 450whp.:thumbsup:

which also proves that the C6 Z06 is very very underrated. but yes for AWD 25% powertrain is a fair estimate.

this is how we can tell if a manufacturer is BSing their power rating like mazda. they always over estimate their hp and they always get caught when they put it on the dyno. then they are forced to either buy back the cars or offer 1 year free maintainance. and they have to re rate their cars such as the mazda mx5's, and mazda rx8's.

i trust whp rating waaay more then manufacturer's BHP rating. there are a few manufactures that is quit honest like honda. they're S2000 is rated at 240bhp and it puts down 200whp which is 20% drive train loss which is the norm for japanese RWD's same with nissan's 350Z. they put down around 240whp is 288bhp when its rated at 287bhp.

but some cars are just so underrated its not even funny. the SRT4 when it was rated at 215bhp, it was putting down over 220whp. which makes it almost 250bhp. and etc.

also an 8 second manual tranny impreza is very impressive. i will give you that, but turbo impreza's are fairly new here. for a car thats been here longer like a DSM which is basically a turbo awd mitsu we have them running 8's for a very very time and we have supra's in the 7's. and we have street driven supra's with full interior running 8's. ( i saw one in person and he had a mag featuring his car and he showed us )

-Josh-
06-20-2006, 02:50 PM
i don't know where you got 25% drivetrain loss from, do you know the exact loss from their car? there's no universal percentage to account for drivetrail loss.

Yes there is, generally 20% on a RWD car, 25-30 on an AWD car. That's one of the first things i learned when i joined race club, we had a Chevy Malibu with a 355. Parasitic losses and how to build an engine that performs at max potential. Our engine dynoed at 525 crank hp, the we factored in the 20% loss we would get at the rear wheels.

And we were almost right on.

Oh yeah, sweet EVO, i want one.

2.2 Straight six
06-20-2006, 03:01 PM

yes, but even when a car is put on a rolling road/chassis dyno the power figure at the wheels is still referred to as bhp. that's here. it might be the same in the states but that's how it is here.

whenever my friends do dyno runs, which are almost always at the wheels they'll say "bhp at the wheels" and not "wheel horsepower".

my friends run a business tuning cars and they always dyno the cars from the power at the wheels, so they know what power gets to the road.

-The Stig-
06-20-2006, 03:06 PM
bhp at the wheels? hmm never heard of that, of course I don't live in England.

Well, as long as we're all on the same page.:thumbsup:

2.2 Straight six
06-20-2006, 03:16 PM
bhp at the wheels? hmm never heard of that, of course I don't live in England.

yes, bhp at the wheels, no you don't live in England.

they're currently having some problems. too much torque through their old dyno. turns out when the dyno manufacturer says its maximum torque capacity is 800lb/ft per axle, they do mean 800lb/ft per axle...

not 1,245lb/ft through the rear wheels...

5.9 cummins = broken dyno.

TheStang00
06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
when i saw AMS in the title, i though Atlanta motor speedway. im retarded

-The Stig-
06-20-2006, 04:26 PM
yes, bhp at the wheels, no you don't live in England.

they're currently having some problems. too much torque through their old dyno. turns out when the dyno manufacturer says its maximum torque capacity is 800lb/ft per axle, they do mean 800lb/ft per axle...

not 1,245lb/ft through the rear wheels...

5.9 cummins = broken dyno.

You guys have Dodge 2500's in England?? That thing must dwarf everything there...

2.2 Straight six
06-20-2006, 04:29 PM
You guys have Dodge 2500's in England?? That thing must dwarf everything there...

not through main dealers, only grey imports. (the 5.9 in question was dropped into a hilux)

about a week ago i was walking home from the train station when a silverado pulled up alongside a mini, i've never seen such a massive comparasin. the mini looked like a toy alongside the huge silverado.

-The Stig-
06-20-2006, 04:34 PM
not through main dealers, only grey imports. (the 5.9 in question was dropped into a hilux)

about a week ago i was walking home from the train station when a silverado pulled up alongside a mini, i've never seen such a massive comparasin. the mini looked like a toy alongside the huge silverado.

Ha... well, the Dodge Ram 2500's are tad bigger than the Silverado's.

CassiesMan
06-20-2006, 04:34 PM
BS.

Everyone knows that the UK doesn't really exist.

Anyways, thats the AMS shop Evo, not Chris's, although I think both run the same set up. Civ, I was never aware of the any of the AMS cars being twin charged. When all those videos first came out, it was a AMS 2.3L stroker kit and a GT35. Now Chris's car has the stroker kit taken off, and replaced the GT35 with a GT42 with methane injection.

-The Stig-
06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Anyways, thats the AMS shop Evo, not Chris's, although I think both run the same set up. Civ, I was never aware of the any of the AMS cars being twin charged. When all those videos first came out, it was a AMS 2.3L stroker kit and a GT35. Now Chris's car has the stroker kit taken off, and replaced the GT35 with a GT42 with methane injection.

He destroked it?? Why go through all the trouble of stroking it, only to ... undo it?

Any particular reason?

2.2 Straight six
06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Ha... well, the Dodge Ram 2500's are tad bigger than the Silverado's.

whoa, huge.

my friend had a 1500 for a short time, then during some midnight off roading hit a tree and rolled it over. i miss it, it was like being on a coach. you got this really cool view when you were way above everyone else's cars.

2.2 Straight six
06-20-2006, 04:38 PM
He destroked it?? Why go through all the trouble of stroking it, only to ... undo it?

Any particular reason?

sometimes engines are made/kept smaller so they can rev higher and hold boost for longer.

CassiesMan
06-20-2006, 04:39 PM

Any particular reason?

No clue, that was just my impression from evolutionm.net, where they follow the AMS Shop EVO and Chris's Evo religously.

-The Stig-
06-20-2006, 04:40 PM
whoa, huge.

my friend had a 1500 for a short time, then during some midnight off roading hit a tree and rolled it over. i miss it, it was like being on a coach. you got this really cool view when you were way above everyone else's cars.

Hmm, well, if it was a 1500 Quad Cab with a short bed, it'd be the same size as 2500. Physically they're the same, just the frame and suspension is more beefy. Although the 2500's sit a bit higher in 4x4 trim than the 1500s... or maybe it's just the tires they come with factory... or maybe it's an optical illusion.

The 2500/3500s just look better. Mostly cause they have the Cummins badge.:icon16:

CassiesMan
06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Interesting...according to the AMS website, that time is off...they say it ran at 9.13@162.

CassiesMan
06-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Interesting...according to the AMS website, that time is off...they say it ran at 9.13@162.

And I was wrong. Chris still has the 2.3L stroker, the shop Evo is running the 2.0L block.

-The Stig-
06-20-2006, 05:05 PM
ahhhh ok.

TheStang00
06-20-2006, 11:58 PM
hey...... cassiesman is back

welcome back

Add your comment to this topic!