Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

OCTANE boosting

magnnuss_75
06-19-2006, 03:23 PM
im running a bbc bowtie, openchambers, big valves, roller-rockers, 13.5comp, single carb on my jet boat....cam II and turbo blue are gettin expensive..i was wondering what i can do to boost 93 to bout 110 -114 or so...ive heard of the toluene and xylene mixes but i have no idea of what ratios to use...all the help i can get will be great ...appreciate it

Igovert500
06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Did a quick search and here is some of what I found:

Xylene (117 octane) or Toulene (114 octane)

Toulene is the better, safer bet, and can easily go to a 30% mixture with no problems. You can probably do more then that but it is harder to atomize at lower tempuratures, not a big deal during this time of year, but still. As for Xylene, you should add some MMO mystery motor oil about 2 to 4 ounces to make up for how much the xylene doesnt have the natural lubricants or additives that normal fuel has in order to bring it up to the safe level.

Xylene=117 octane, so ((117x2)+(91x6)/8)=97.5 octane rating.

Toulene/xylene is very dry, so you need to add a little lubrication to protect the fuel system(Marvel Mystery Oil works). I've never heard anyone suffering damage from using it properly.

It is however not the same as leaded race gas. If you have access to race gas and are running high boost levels, it will work much better since its specifically designed for such use. There was a thread awhile ago that talked about the benefits of race gas and how all race/higher octane gas is not the same/equal.

http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=273255&highlight=toulene

^ That last link is about 4 pages on where to find it, a few good articles, and some calculations to determine how much to use to achieve what octane.

The general consensus seems to be toulene is less harsh on your fuel system, and to not exceed 1:3 ratios with gasoline.

-The Stig-
06-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Toulene from what I remember being told by a old school drag racer is basically paint thinner.

He'd mix paint thinner with his fuel to get higher octanes.

MrPbody
07-03-2006, 12:46 PM
No magic "witchdoctor" solutions. Nothing takes the place of true octane. Use race gas in 13.5:1 (114) engines... Or maybe methynol...

Jim

bad360rt
07-04-2006, 07:46 AM
What about methanol injection? Methanol is supposed to be around 120-130 octane (depending on what source you quote). I know a lot of boosted guys (myself included), use it in place of race gas.

Add your comment to this topic!