Changing the Timing Chain

homeskillet43
06-19-2006, 12:15 AM
Ok people here is a question for you all, I have a 1996 Town Car with 210,000 miles, and I was wondering when do you know when to change the timing chain? When I change the timing chain when what else do I have to change at that time? Example sprocket, tensioner, or pulleys.

Towncar
06-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Ok people here is a question for you all, I have a 1996 Town Car with 210,000 miles, and I was wondering when do you know when to change the timing chain? When I change the timing chain when what else do I have to change at that time? Example sprocket, tensioner, or pulleys.

Most timing chains that I'm aware of (old school) are available in a set, including sprockets and chain(s). If not, the Cam sprocket(s) at minimun should be replaced with the new chain(s). The Crank sprocket is less prone to wear, but that's going to be up to the final inspection.

The least intrusive way to check the Timing Chain 'slack' (again old school) was to rotate the Crank clockwise/counterclockwise just enough to watch the Distributor Rotor.... you get the idea here, right?

With your 4.6, Dual Overhead Cams and no Distributor Rotor, I can't think of a way to 'see' the slack between the Crank and the Cams without removing one of the Valve Covers and watching the reactions from there.

As for what else to replace while your in there, there's a whole list of things that need inspection at 200k + miles. I bellieve you have >>> these drawings and references (http://www24.brinkster.com/sdhartney/linc/enginecomp.htm) <<< already, showing Serpentine Belt and Tentioner, Harmonic Balancer, Chain Guides, Water Pump, Water Hose (under the Intake Man.), and a few other things... not to forget Gaskets and Seals :)

Again, it all depends on your inspection, previous maintenance and parts replacements.

Add your comment to this topic!