Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Did I buy a bad alternaor?

AspDotNetGuy
06-18-2006, 09:22 PM
So I thought my alternator was bad and replaced yesterday. Charged the battery and everything seemed good for a few rides. Went to get gas today and the car would start, go a boost, drove it a few blocks put a charger on it again.

A friend said to start the car and then pull the negative battery cable, he said if the car dies immediatly you have a bad alternator. Is this true? I tried it and the car did die immediatly.

AspDotNetGuy
06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
By the way, it is a 1995 3.1 litre. Oh I get the same reading on the battery power with a voltemeter whether the car is running or not???

What now?

GTP Dad
06-19-2006, 06:39 AM
It is possible for a new alternator to be bad but unlikely. The first thing you need to do is to recheck the connection to the alternator. Make sure it is clean and that the connection is good. Also make sure the battery is fully charged. If you have a volt meter check the voltage at the battery when the car is running. It should be at least 13.5 volts. If not then the alternator is probably not working correctly. Remember, an alternator will only maintain a battery, it will not recharge it.

AspDotNetGuy
06-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Okay, I will recharge the battery on a trickle over night, and try again.

But I used my voltimeter and the reading stayed consistent on the battery whether the car was running or not. It did this the old alternator as well.

Are there any fuseible links I need to worry about or anything else.

I did have burnt out signal light but I don't see how that could affect it?

Could bad grounds affect be causing this?

GTP Dad
06-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Your best bet would be to check all grounds as well as the battery cables. Internal corrosion in the battery cables accounts for a lot of problems with charging issues. Also make sure the terminals are clean and tight. I suspect that a bad ground or cable may be your entire problem.

AspDotNetGuy
06-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Okay great,

Where to start though?

How do I check the battery cables for internal corrosion? How many grounds are there and where are they located?

I have the Haynes manual but am not good at reading the diagrams.

Is there a way to test if a car is grounded by using a multimeter?

AspDotNetGuy
06-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Okay I am moron.

You know the wiring harness on the bottom side of the alternator? I forgot to plug it in. I just plugged it in. I think everything will be fine now.

I had the power wire done but not the wire harness. Would that make the difference?

daman
06-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Okay I am moron.

Would that make the difference?

yes!!!

AspDotNetGuy
06-19-2006, 02:10 PM
WooFreakinHoo. My car is going to be okay and i fixed it myself... can't beat that.

..err hoperfully :D

daman
06-19-2006, 02:36 PM
WooFreakinHoo. My car is going to be okay and i fixed it myself... can't beat that.

..err hoperfully :D

LOL

GTP Dad
06-19-2006, 07:17 PM
Crap happens! Glad you got it fixed.

xeroinfinity
06-19-2006, 07:22 PM
:rofl:

didnt we discuss this the other day.......... ?

xeroinfinity
06-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Would like to add,
If you are charging the battery in the car, I'd remove those battery cables!
Also when jumping the battery, you should unplug that connector from the alternator or at least ground the running vehicle to something metal under the hood, other than the battery.
IT can toast the alternators insides which would make it inoperable and void your warrnty. Just my :2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!