Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question about micro sol and clear coating.

slownlow32tl
06-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Hi guys so i noticed after i use microsol to lay down CF decals it leaves behind a kind of film (you can see the brush strokes on top of the carbon). And i figured a flat clear would get rid of this, but unfortunately i was wrong. And now that i have cleared it they are even more visible. Is there a way to git rid of the film left behind by micro-sol without taking off or damaging the decals. Thanks

cyberkid
06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Right now you have to worry more about the clear that is on top of the decals. If you used arcylics for the flat clear then there is hope. I suppose windex or alchohol is the only way to go, but I mean by spraying it on and wiping it off gentely. PLEASE TRY THESE ON SCRAP DECALS FIRST! I HAVEN'T TRIED THESE METHODS SO I DON'T KNOW WHETHER IF THEY WILL HARM YOUR DEACLS OR NOT. I you used lacquer or enamels, I've heard that high % alchohol can strip it but still test it first.

freakray
06-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Any method that removes clear will remove the decals too.

I've never had any sort of film or residue from microsol so I'm not sure how you're getting the marks. What kind of CF decals are you using?

slownlow32tl
06-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Well im not trying to take off the clear coat ive come to terms with this incident because it kind of look weathered on the bottom now and i can live with it because its on the bottom. But i would like to prevent further incidents. Im using SMS carbon decals and you can notice the residue of micro sol if you brush some on a black surface and let it dry. I might just have to make up a carbon item and try wiping it off with various chemicals til one works.

M1CRO
06-18-2006, 07:04 PM
I know what you mean about the residue left by the microsol, Sometimes i have the same staining when I leave the humbrol solvent to air dry. I've no Idea why it does this only on some decals too,I Figured its a reaction to the Decal glue and the solvent,It mainly happens when theres too much Decal solvent left to air dry...With me anyway. I try to roll a cotton swab over the decals now to mop the excess decal solvent.

As a solution.Would it be practical to lay down a CF decal Over the one you have in place already? Just an idea.

M1CRO.

slownlow32tl
06-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah leaving too much on to airdry does seem like the cause, i did use quite a bit. But your right i think either using a cotton ball or maybe slightly rubing it down with a papertowl after application would take the evaporated chemials off. Or find a way to get them off after it dries but before applying a top coat.

freakray
06-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Try diluting it away with water before it completely dries, just be careful not to touch the decal.

MPWR
06-18-2006, 08:46 PM
I've been using Micro Sol for yearsnyears and have never come across a residue- but I have had another problem with it and SMS (specifically) decals. SMS CF is a metaillic colored film with the black pattern printed on top. Micro Sol is strong enough to soften and dissolve the black ink, and leave spots of it on the decal as it dries. If you read SMS's instructions, they are very specific about not leaving wet pools of Micro Sol to sit on the wet decal. I suspect this is related to the problem you're having. You can switch to a weaker decal solution (Micro Set is one), or follow SMS's instructions about not leaving solution to pool on the decals.

Add your comment to this topic!