Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil in spark plug well

vtownx
06-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Ok, so the car I have has a problem in one of the wells, it has a small amount of oil in it, like not enough that it touches the spark plug wire boot, but enough that its on the end of the spark plug. I replaced the valve cover seals, and still no luck, so whats the next step? I think ive read around saying that there is another gasket under the rocker arms, and if this is true, is it difficult to replace? and would i have to readjust anything? anything helps! I feel as if the engine slightly misses when i idle, and im the type that wants the car running in perfect condition.

duodad
06-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Have you already replaced the spark plug tube seals? If not, that's a pretty good bet what's causing that.

vicchang
06-20-2006, 09:27 AM
I assume when you say "valve cover seals" you mean the 4 tube seals under the valve cover.

If that's the case, then, yes, there is another set of seals under the rocker arm assembly. If you are not an experienced mechanic, I suggest you pay someone else to do it. The rocker arm assy can get loose if you don't handle it correctly and it can take forever to put it back (that's what happened to me, just one collar got loose and took me 1 hour to figure out how to put it back correctly). Plus you need to adjust the valve clearance.

AccordCodger
06-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Suggestion - leave it alone. It's a very common problem with that gen (and maybe others). It won't actually do any harm unless it gets a LOT worse.

vtownx
07-08-2006, 10:58 PM
ok, would the oil however cause the slight hesitation i feel occasionally?

AccordCodger
07-09-2006, 09:29 PM
No.

vtownx
07-10-2006, 05:10 PM
ok thanks, since im the type who has to fix every little thing, ill probably just replace the seal under the rocker arm assembly. thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!