Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission removal

ajamato86
06-17-2006, 05:05 PM
i have a 98 2.2 5 spd, and am removing the tranny to replace the clutch

i have all the bolts off, all wireing and fuel lines off, and the shifter, crossmember, and driveshaft out. i seperated it from the motor about a half an inch, but it doesnt want to move any further. any ideas as to what to do?

Techyon
06-17-2006, 09:32 PM
you NEED to make sure that when removing the transmission that you do it STRAIGHT!

if you tweak the input shaft in any way it will never be correct and it will destroy your front bearing in your transmission.

Removing the transmission and installation is rather tight. I had to wiggle mine back and forth gently to remove it and install it.

Hope this info helped.

OverBoardProject
06-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Look under the hood and see what's stoping the motor from tilting. The fan or anything might be catching.
Once the motor tilts far enough the transmission should slide prettty easily.

Worst case senerio you'll have to hang the motor (as a safety precaution, plus easier to raise later) and remove the motor mounts. This will allow the motor to drop a fair amount giving you oddles of room

They're pretty tough units, so unless you did something stupid you shouldn't have to worry about the input shaft.

ajamato86
06-18-2006, 09:00 PM
my motor is tilting fine, but im taking it out straight, like the manual says. do i have to take it out on an angle?...am i missing something.

i hear these are pretty tough to take out, but this is rediculous, its as if the tranny is welded to the damn motor.

ajamato86
06-18-2006, 10:57 PM
is it nessecary to remove the dust sheild to remove the tranny...could that be what its stuck on?

OverBoardProject
06-18-2006, 11:46 PM
I've always removed the dust sheild, and would never try without it.
You should be able to see or feel what's left connected, or more than likely what it's hitting.

I also always tilt the motor, and have never had too bad of a problem on a 2wd.
The 4x4's on the other hand are tough, and your better off pulling the motor.

It doesn't have to tilt much, just around 15 degrees usually

If you can seperate the bellhousing from the transmission on your model it might make the job easier. It's usually the bellhousing that seems to catch everything

Good luck with it, and wish that I could help more

Add your comment to this topic!