Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Advise on Porsche 944 Turbo Convertible, Is it worth it?

thaniz
08-03-2002, 03:51 AM
Hi all,

I have been offered a 1991 model 944 turbo convertible for US $ 16,350.
I always wanted a convertible as a second car. The car is in a good condition with two owners and full maintenance history.
It's done 96,000 KM. I did drive it and never wanted to stop, it just hugs the road and of course it's manual gear.

I am not expert with Porsches and I have seen some good posts on this forum and wanted to hear some good advise. Is it worth it?

:)

|Banchi1O5|
08-24-2002, 08:50 PM
The turbo convertible is a very rare model

you can get a normal turbo in excellent condition for about $9k (us) but im sure the conv. must bring a very large premium - the price sounds reasonable although i would try for $15k myself

but the car is an absolute winner
and is only a 115 lbs heavier than the coupe
so performance is practically the same

but search on google
for more info on it
theres a ton out there

if you cant find any good links
just ask me - i have a million
since the 89 944 turbo s is my dream car :)

Cbass
09-13-2002, 06:24 AM
Yes, they only made about 500 951 convertables. They will go as fast as you want to make them, they handle like a dream... $16K is a bit steep for a 951, but about right for a 951 cabriolet.

The thing you should make your decision on are the service records. Take it to a Porsche mechanic, and have him give it the once over, and get a full written report! It's very important to get it on paper, because you know later when a mechanic says to you, "You need a new (insert incredibly expensive part that requires 20 hours of labour here)", you can avoid getting screwed. It also means you can take it back to the seller, and use it as a bargaining chip...

Keep in mind, a Porsche is like any other car, except the parts are more expensive. The better the previous owner(s) have taken care of it, the less you will have to spend on it. If it has a dozen major problems, and that is why the owner is selling it, then you are the one who will have to pay to fix all of them. It will taint your experience with the car, and cost you an arm and probably both legs.

And Banchi, the Turbo S was only made in 88! In 89-91, the TS upgrades were all standard, and it was just referred to as the 944 turbo. Therefore, any 89 951 is identical to the 88 Turbo S.

Add your comment to this topic!