Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wiper Motor stops and buzzes?

kernow1
06-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi

This looks to be a generic GM wiper motor. Mine stops turning and buzzes on all low speed intermittents. The buzz goes away on hi speed, but doesnt work as it is not getting its low speed signal.
It restarts with a gentle tap, but returns to the fault condition on a regular basis.

Anyone else experienced this? I have removed it and dismantled it, the brushes look ok, the only thing I am not sure of is the 2 'wiper strips' that drag along the main drive disc- what are these for?
Has anyone got any suggestions as to if the assembly is DIY repairable or do I just give up and get new?

Many Thanks

Darren

old_master
06-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Welcome to the forum.
A very common problem is the solder connections on the pulse board will break and lose contact. Some people have pretty good luck resoldering them. I prefer to replace the module with an improved one made by Dorman. They are available at most parts stores for around $30 USD. Three torx screws hold it to the wiper motor and it takes about 5 minutes to replace. Be sure to stuff a gob of grease on the gears and then run a small bead of silicone RTV around the module before you install it to keep the water out. Hope this helps. BTW Check out the Blazer forum, there's a lot more activity there and it's basically the same vehicle.

kernow1
06-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the forum.
A very common problem is the solder connections on the pulse board will break and lose contact. Some people have pretty good luck resoldering them. I prefer to replace the module with an improved one made by Dorman. They are available at most parts stores for around $30 USD. Three torx screws hold it to the wiper motor and it takes about 5 minutes to replace. Be sure to stuff a gob of grease on the gears and then run a small bead of silicone RTV around the module before you install it to keep the water out. Hope this helps. BTW Check out the Blazer forum, there's a lot more activity there and it's basically the same vehicle.

Hi Again
After following your advice, I found some dry joints on the PCB, re-soldered them and it tested ok!
I will hold off putting the cowlings back on for a week, but I am almost certain, it is good again.
MANY THANKS- I think you just saved me C$100 on a new wiper motor!:grinyes:
And if it does fail again, I will go hunt out a Dorman PCB.

Regards

Darren

jdmccright
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
A safety recall was issued for failing wiper motors on these trucks. GM will look at it and replace it if defective.

Add your comment to this topic!