Building a stock car from junkyard parts

cody_e
06-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Me and my friends were thinking we could build a stock car to race at the local track out of old junkyard parts. One friend's grandma owns the junkyard so if we worked out a sponsorship deal we could get a car and parts. I am wondering if it's possible to build a stock car basically primarily out of junk yard parts and do it for little or nothing and yet be competitive? I'll have access to all the tools I'll need in capstone auto class. I think we might be able to get the parts for free. Granted we'll need to do a rebuild of the engine (we'd have to buy gaskets and such) you guys think it can be done?

Underground_Killah
06-17-2006, 01:53 AM
anything is possible. i'd recommend strongly map out what you want to build and look for it there at the junk yard before you head straight into it. you never know, you may be like in the fast and the furious with the junk yard to ferrarri beater

TheStang00
06-17-2006, 01:57 AM
i dont think that much of the engine work would be a good idea to use junk parts for. as far as the other componants it is possible. my uncle used to race late models and he owned an auto salvage. i have no idea if he used parts out of the yard, but id imagine that he did. i imagine you could atleast get the body out of the yard. assuming you go the chevy route, a monte carlo shell would work or for ford maybe a thunderbird shell.

Underground_Killah
06-17-2006, 02:04 AM
heck get a crown victoria and build that thing into a monster. talk about a sleeper. imagine a 10 second crown vic lol.

grandma's got a kick ass car

TheStang00
06-17-2006, 02:23 AM
heck get a crown victoria and build that thing into a monster. talk about a sleeper. imagine a 10 second crown vic lol.

grandma's got a kick ass car

i think he was referring to oval racing

quteasabutton
06-17-2006, 02:53 AM
i think he was referring to oval racing
yeah he is, told me about it online. what track are you taking it to? the one in sun prairie or are there more up north by you?

Igovert500
06-17-2006, 04:21 AM
absolutely not. Don't you know, junkyard = trash never to be reused again, only good for crushing Nicholas Cage's soon to be ex-car thief brother. trash is trash, and I never will ever think you can make a fast car out of an old car or parts!!!!!!!next you're going to tell me you can make fuel from corn on the cobb! HHAHAHAHLLLOLOL..

YES it is possible. Was there a specific question? More importantly, did you think of the entertainment value of this.. 4 fast 4 furious, Junkyard Wars!

Edit: was a little drunk ^. What I meant to say, is I think this is one of those questions, where if you are asking it, the undertaking might be a bit beyond. Anything is possible with money and technical ability, the question is if you have the 2. Going through a junkyard for parts, will be cheaper, but will present alot of issues in itself. 1 junkyard might not having everything you need/want. You may find stuff that needs a fair amount of repair/modifying, etc. Basically, my feelings are, if you are asking us this question, than you it maybe a sign that this will be a difficult feat. Just my .02, no offense.

cody_e
06-17-2006, 11:11 AM
The local one Marshfield Super Speedway :D Maybe take it on dirt and go to Monster Hall. I think they're shut down this year. I think I'd plan on taking something like an old neon or something small that could fit a v8 and be as aerodynamic as possible. That way we could get by on a crappier engine because we wouldn't have to dedicate as much power to actually moving a big chunk of steel.

I'm not sure if we can do it though. I mean we don't have money between us and we don't want to stick that much money in. I'm probably going to the junkyard today.

TheStang00
06-17-2006, 11:24 AM
if you dont plan on spending money then oval racing isnt the hobby for you. it takes money to race.

do you think you would be allowed to race a compact? doesnt it have to be a larger 4 door car? what are the rules of the series you are attempting to enter?

cody_e
06-17-2006, 11:34 AM
We're going to the races tonight. We'll check in on what we need. There's a shitload of parts there. We should be able to come up with something.

BullDog71ss
06-17-2006, 01:39 PM
You'd be better off trying to build a destruction derby car out of all junkyard parts. Destruction derbys are also cooler than oval track racing.

CBFryman
06-17-2006, 01:49 PM
i dont know what class yo uwant to be in or what organization but here where i live where FASTCAR is popular you dont have a chance with stock engines in the higher classes. However in the stock 4cyl classes where its more about skill than anything else you have a chance :)

cody_e
06-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Ok I went to the race track with my friends and we are going into the Junkyard Warrier Division. They allow 4 cylinder engines with turbos or v6 (no inlines) OEM engines. We found an Eagle Talon we might be able to race. Another friend who might go in with us dad is actually half owner of the local Carquest. I think we might be able to get something to work.

The thing I'm wondering is it says OEM for the engine for a v6. Does that mean say I have a Ford engine I can't put a Mopar distributer in it? Well we're goign to get mroe details on it.

Add your comment to this topic!