Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlight Trouble

speener
06-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Whenever i attempt to glue headlights on a car i always seem to leave alittle glue resiude underneath it and it looks bad. I try to use the littleest amount of glue on the outer edge and carefully put it in place but i can always see glue marks. Any tips or tricks to get headlights looking mint? Thanks

wouter1981
06-16-2006, 04:01 PM
what gleu do you use? Don't use plastic gleu or supergleu (cyano acylic), use white gleu. It dries completly transparant and you can easily fix mistakes with some water. 2 components works also and is verry strong, but you white gleu is THE way to go in my opinion

DasWiesel
06-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Some clear paint is another simple way to glue them without any damage.

speener
06-16-2006, 06:07 PM
i use the liquid tamiya stuff, looks like water. White glue like i used to use in art class at school??/ or is there another product i could buy

freakray
06-16-2006, 06:20 PM
White glue like you used in art class....yes.

cyberkid
06-16-2006, 06:28 PM
i use the liquid tamiya stuff, looks like water. White glue like i used to use in art class at school??/ or is there another product i could buy
The liquid tamiya stuff is extra thin liquid cement. Tamiya has a nice white glue called 'water-based type craft bond', but basically its the same as the stuff you use in art class. 1 point though, even though it dries clear, try to use as less as possible.
Another alternative is like when DasWiesel said, clear paint.

nugundam93
06-16-2006, 06:32 PM
tried lately to use white glue, works for me. :D

EMAXX
06-16-2006, 06:39 PM
I used to do that a lot when I was younger. I've learned that what works the best for me is if you put a small amount on a toothpick, and then just put small drops of glue around the body of the car, then place the headlight on the glue.

M1CRO
06-16-2006, 07:01 PM
speener, I used to have the exact same problem..I solved this in two ways.

Firstly I almost always make an outline around the glass lenscover with a permanent marker.This makes for a realistic rubber seal around the lens, Also it gives u a little area around the whole light in which to paint on some pva{White} glue.Which you can water down a little so it will flow better.Even white wood glue works.

Use a small stick with some blu-tac or plasticine to hold the lens while you work.From the outside. This gives you more chance to get a perfect finish.Also when the glu has slightly set, You can use the stick to position the lens into place without fear of touching the glue..

Hope this helps.

M1CRO.

speener
06-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Nice ideas guys can't wait to try them out on my next model. Just finishing up an rx 7 now i think i am going to go old school maybe an impala ss or a mustang. The current rx7 i had trouble in the paint booth. First i tried painting it white but it was not covering the black plastic. Then i realized i needed to prime it so i decided to paint it blue but the blue was not covering it well either so i masked so graphics on the car and painted it black. I used a yr old can of testors and the paint job is sort of lumpy not bad but not smooth and shiny like my other cars painted with tamiya. One more part must be painted and mounted then it will be done. The lights are small so the mistakes there are hardly noticable. I am happy with it but it has been frustrating. I don't have a url of my photos so i cannot show u any sorry.

Add your comment to this topic!