Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Liberty with a diesel

AdamB86
06-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Well, my 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee has come to the end of its road. It's not in horrible shape, but just becoming too costly to maintain. The viscus clutch is shot but really is only affecting parking so far. I went looking last night for a new Jeep. I really like the Jeep brand, but I was almost swayed by a Chevy Equinox. It's a sharp vehicle, but after I test drove a Liberty with a diesel, I was in love. :grinyes: It's a four cylinder diesel, but has the power of a light 8 cylinder. I really couldn't tell that it was any less than my inline six GC and the sound the engine makes is awesome. I didn't even know Jeep put diesels in their trucks; it is a Mercedes engine. Anything I should know by switching to a diesel? Are they more costly to maintain than gas? The engine is going to last a long time, that's about all I know with diesels. They also get better mileage so I am looking forward to that. Currently I get around 12-15 in mine and this is rated at 22 city and 25 highway. I haven't bought it yet, but this is probably going to be my next car. Oh how I wish I could afford a new GC or even the Commander; it's such a sharp truck, but I think I will be very happy with the liberty. Any feedback is appreciated.

catsfan1998
07-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Adam The number one thing I can say about Diesels- ALWAYS buy good fuel from a reputable place. As far as maintenance costs go oil and filter changes tend to be a little higher but the power and economy more than make up for it.Do not over-service the air filter. This will let dust into the engine and this will be costly. If you maintain this engine properly it should (almost literally) last a lifetime. Just a few thoughts that might help you out. Good luck.

bklake
08-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Swing through this forum and check out the CRD section. http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/ Best forum out there for the CRD.

I have one and love it. I'm not getting the mileage they claim but most do better than EPA estimate. These have a few recurring problems, but it's a new engine and Jeep is slowly improving the parts to fix the problems.

The engine is made by VM in Italy. It's not a Mercedes engine. Actually VM is owned by Detroit Diesel which is owned by Daimler Chrysler so it is a cousin to Mercedes.

neon_rt
08-30-2006, 01:10 PM
The Diesel Liberties are now out of production. So if you want one, don't wait too long or you may not be able to get what you want.
Next year the Grand Cherokee will be available with a Diesel.

Add your comment to this topic!