Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Injector Clog?

silveira03
06-15-2006, 03:43 PM
I used STP complete fuel system cleaner (http://www.stp.com/fuel_complete.html) on my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (4 cyl, automatic/tiptronic). Ever since I used up that whole take of gas with the fuel cleaner, it feels like the engine isn't getting enough gas when the engine is idling at or below 1000 RPM's, and the engine will die (and now the "service engine soon" light is on all the time). I think what happened is that the fuel system cleaner knocked some gunk loose and into the fuel injector, which is restricting gas flow to the engine. Does that sound right? What do you recommend? Should I attempt using MORE fuel system cleaner/fuel injection cleaner, or should I attempt to remove the fuel injector to see if it needs cleaning? If so, how do I go about locating/removing it? I made an appointment for a diagnostic at the Mitsubishi dealership, but it's going to be expensive just for the diagnostic, and I would rather just fix it myself. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

rodbls
06-16-2006, 08:24 AM
First off I wouldnt go to a dealer unless you have no choice, or are under warrenty. There are plenty of places that will do a free check for you. As for the problem, sounds kinda funny, and I have never heard of Fuel Injector cleaner actually causing a fuel injector clog. I understand what you mean as far as explaining what YOU think may have happened...but I dont see that being the problem. IDK, try and find a place to do a free check, but it sounds like there is something else causing the problem.

808drifter
06-16-2006, 09:14 AM
if anything its more likely (if the chunk of gunk thing happend) is that the clog is in the fuel filter not the injector.

silveira03
06-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Well, I've recently been told that you aren't supposed to use these Fuel system cleaners on older cars, because all it does is loosen gunk and then the gunk is forced through the system and through the engine. Apparently fuel system cleaner is inteded for newer cars to KEEP them clean. I wish I knew that before i put the stuff in there in the first place.

Anyways, I've been told that Autozone can hook up my car to the computer for free and give me a code, instead of having to go pay around $70 for a diagnostic. So I will be back tomorrow with a code for you guys to better solve this problem. But thanks for your current imput!

ricebike
06-16-2006, 10:34 AM
if no codes, i'd say plan to change out the fuel filter anyways

Sleepr awd
06-16-2006, 11:09 AM
and used injectors can't hurt

finding injectors isn't terribly hard to do

Add your comment to this topic!