Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help me speed it up

suprasizeit
06-15-2006, 04:40 AM
Whats up i have an 88 non turbo 7m-ge i want to get some serious hp out of it. If any one can help me make some mods to some big power out of it give me all the info and things i can do to make it faster. Please dont tell me to swap engines cause to me that takes all the fun out of it. My project is to take what i have and make it faster anyone can just swap out the engine but thats the shortcut.
Things ive already done
KandN filter
2 1/2 exhaust
plt 4 bosch plugs
Now someone guide me to the next step

2ltGTT
06-15-2006, 04:58 AM
put a turbo on it :p
na...umm get light weight racing wheels and some carbon fiber parts?... weight reduction.....

TcmaBoy
06-15-2006, 01:20 PM
The next step is to stop wasting money on the 7MGE. Then you need to swap the 7MGE for the 7MGTE. Used 7MGTEs are about $800-$900.

When you get your 7MGTE put a metal head gasket in it. The stock composit gaskets are known for blowing.

Stay away from those junk Bosch platinum plugs. They have been known to fowl and melt down. If you are building a serious turbo motor then get a set of Denso Iridum plugs.

Stay away from "high flow" filters such as K&Ns. Use a stock paper filter. The K&Ns only provide marginal flow gains, but let massive amounts of dirt into the motor.

From there it all depends on budget and power goals. The 7MGTE can do up to 500 HP before you need to replace the internals. Always do supporting fuel modifications when you do turbo work.

You need to do a realistic assesment of what the vehicle is going to be used for.

You will also want to replace your transmission with an R-154.

I don't know why you are agianst swaping engines. This is the way to go. You would have to replace the internals in your 7MGE to lower compression to boost friendly 8.5:1, which the 7MGTE already has. Then you will still need a turbo. The 7MGTE already has one. The 7MGE block is not taped for piston oil squirters like the 7MGTE blocks are. Then you will need to buy all the sensors, ignition parts, ECU, and other electronics for the 7MGTE. Basicaly you will be spending a lot more money to get the same engine. If your idea if "fun" is throwing money down a hole then go ahead and rebuild your 7MGE with 7MGTE parts.

suprasizeit
06-15-2006, 01:32 PM
i understand what u saying about the motor swap didnt know it would take that much to get big gains out of my motor. one of the big problems here is finding a shop to do the swap. I live in a small county and most of these mechanics out here suck. except one and he is backed up with work. by the way he has a damn 89 supra and running 8s. now he talking bout tubing out and putting a v8. but if u know were MIR is thats were i live but thanks for the advice if i find someone to do it ill do the swap

Add your comment to this topic!