Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

check engine light has come on, 97 Grand Marquis

karen402
06-14-2006, 09:37 AM
I have a 97 Grand Marquis and the check engine light has come on, and stayed on. If I’m reading the owners manual correctly this is an emission problem, not oil or transmission or anything like that? Is this anything that will hurt my car by driving it? Can’t really afford to take it to the dealer at this time.
Car has 87,000 miles on it and maintenance has been kept up very well and no major problems in the past.
Thanks

way2old
06-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Go to your local Auto Zone and have them read the codes for you. They do it as a free service to try to sell you parts. Get the EXACT code number and post it in this thread and we can lead you through the repair.

karen402
06-14-2006, 12:03 PM
I went to Auto Zone before I read the above reply. Guess like a dummy I didn't get the code number, only the problem.
The guy said it was a vacuum leak, or oxygen sensor. I ask him to show me where the oxygen sensor was and he said it was under the car. He also said if it was his car he wouldn't worry about it.
I feel better now, but do want it fixed.
Thanks

way2old
06-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Was it possibly a P0171 or a P0174? Possibly a P0420 or a P0430? Just noticed we are almost neighbors. I am in Lexington.

fleettech
06-15-2006, 10:08 AM
He also said if it was his car he wouldn't worry about it.
I feel better now, but do want it fixed.
Thanks

that is why he is selling parts and not fixing cars. the light comes on to tell you you have an emmissions related problem and to get it fixed before you cause catastrophic damage to your catilist. (converters). your best bet is to find a reputable shop to check it out.

krewl1
06-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Most likely it will be one of the rear o2 sensors which tend to go bad in the crown Vics but you will have to ge tthe exact code and we will know.

Add your comment to this topic!