fuel pressure

dlistro
06-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Is there any way to test the fuel pressure on the 2000 mirage. I am looking for a valve but there does not seem to be one. My car sometimes wont start. It can work good for days and then just not start. If i let it sit for a while it will start up again no problem. I am suspecting that it may be the fuel pump starting to go. Any suggestions. Car also dies while driving but then comes right back on.

DFBonnett
06-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Neither engine has a schraeder valve on the fuel rail. Both utilize adapters that are fitted to the fuel line. The manual is a bit vague but if they are like Toyota, it is a banjo bolt adapter that is fitted to the output side of the fuel filter. You're looking for about 38 PSI at idle.
When the car doesn't start, remove the gas cap and put your ear next to the filler while someone else turns the key to ON but not START. You should hear the pump start.
FWIW
YMMV

dlistro
06-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Alright i see the banjo bolt. Do i just unscrew it and put some type of adapter in its place that will allow me to connect my fuel pressure tester? If so where would i get such an adapter?

DFBonnett
06-14-2006, 11:59 AM
The adapter goes in tandem with the current setup. Try any place that sells fuel injection test equipment for Japanese cars such as Lisle, Mac, Snap-on, etc. You might try a good auto supply store.
Before you buy some pricey tools, try to verify that it is in fact a fuel problem and not ignition. My personal experience has been that intermittent problems are more likely ignition than fuel.
FWIW
YMMV

Add your comment to this topic!