Page updated on 08-19-2018

'96 850 GLT- A/C stops working occasionally.

ddrdh4
06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
1996 850 GLT. The A/C stops working occasionally the fan still blows but blows warm air for about 5 to 10 minutes then it will blow cold again for a few minutes and then blow warm again. It has automatic temp control. Could something be going out with that? and if so does any one know what?

Thanks for any and all help!!
Don

TheMan5952
06-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Probaly just need a AC system recharge.

nmikmik
07-01-2006, 01:32 PM
To avoid guessing (and may be unscrupulous auto repair professional) you could go to the auto parts store or any store that sells auto accessories and purchase a charger “gun”, that’s how I call it, so you’d have to ask.
It has a hose that connects to the A/C low pressure circuit (can be found in your owner manual) on my 96 – 850 it’s on the passenger side by the alternator pulley and a monometer that shows the pressure in the system. Instructions on the gun explain how to use it. In my case it was a warn out A/C clutch that I could not find much cheaper then the whole compressor. So I replaced the whole thing and now it good $$$ :banghead:
Good luck.

TheMan5952
07-14-2006, 10:03 AM
yea, you may also want to besure that the A/C Compressor slutch is engaging correctly, poop the hood and run the a/c and watch the compressor and see if it cuts out along with the time it gets warm.

Add your comment to this topic!