Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Opinions welcome...

spano
06-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Last night I was changing out my winter tires and putting on the summers so I decided to grease up a liitle bit. I found a total of 8 zert fittings: 3 on the wheel assembly and one up the arm @ 1' from the wheel (Total 8). I had some difficulty getting one of the zerts to take grease and not because it was full, it actually seems like it's near evacuated of grease. On the Right wheel assembly, the lower grease zert. So I put the wheels on because I need the flex tube to get a better grip on the bugger and noticed that the wheel was alomst cantered and I beleive that it's because of this bushing not having enough grease. The wheel dosn't grind nor vibrate excessivly so I am wondering if I go home, get the flexable grease hose and jack that puppy up with some grease will it effect my assembly in anyway? Or am I dealing with a busted/failing part and should replace the assembly? There isn't and cracks or excessive grease outside of the bushing. It seems like since I have had the vehicle it had a little ganster lean to it and I thought it was the shocks but now may have other ideas. I have seen threads on Pitman arms and the like, just an opinion if I'll be replaceing these shortly...Thanks!!!
BTW - 96 Blazer, 4.3L, 4 door, with a bad dog smell from the previous owner.....

OverBoardProject
06-13-2006, 10:23 AM
I woud try giving it some grease, but in a week or 2 inspect every front end part for excessive wear and movement.

That is as long as there are no parts that seem really worn now.

the front ends on our rides last a long tme when they are maintained properly, but wear out quickly when they aren't

AlmostStock
06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
The Blazer front end has nine zerk fittings for grease not eight. The idler arm has one in the front that many people (and quickie lube shops) miss because it is hard to see and access.

The leaning problem is somewhat common on Blazers. My '05 was 1 1/4 inch higher on the driver side straight from the factory. This can be corrected by adjusting the torsion bars and then having the front end realigned.

DINO55
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
MY 1998 LS 2wd HAS 11 ZERK GREASE FITTINGS ON IT ????????

AlmostStock
06-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Oops, my mistake. Dino is correct.

lower ball joints -2
upper ball joints -2
inner tie rods -2
outer tie rods -2
idler arm -2
pitman arm -1

Total -11

The forward idler arm pivot is the zerk most often missed. It's even hard to see.

Add your comment to this topic!