Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

whats the minimum is should go for a winch?2K 3K 8K?

rob doggy dog
06-12-2006, 11:08 PM
want the cheapest i can get but want to make sure it will work when i need it anyone use the 2K?
88 yj 31" tires 2" lift

Ray H
06-13-2006, 01:22 AM
want the cheapest i can get but want to make sure it will work when i need it anyone use the 2K?
88 yj 31" tires 2" lift

The minimum single line rating for your winch should be at least 1.5 X the fully loaded weight of the vehicle you are recovering.
I figure a fully loaded Jeep to weigh just under 4000lbs (thats a little high but not much). 1.5 X 4000 = 6000lbs minimum.
2000lbs and 3000lbs winches are for ATVs, not vehicles.
If you want cheap, look for a 6000lbs, 8000lbs or 9000lbs Tmax, Tabor, Harbor Freight or MileMarker electric. Thats a list of the cheapest winches out there that have enough power and large enough cable to safely recover a vehicle. Personally, I would not go with a cable smaller than 5/16" dia. whatever size winch you get. If you break a cable during a pull, its life threatening. Winches are serious tools that demand responsibility and respect. Theres alot of stored energy in a winch cable and there are alot of ways that energy can be suddenly released. Buying cheap, inadequate recovery tools is just like buying cheap, inadequate jack stands. Its a gamble and if/when you lose, its gonna hurt. Whatever winch you get will have a safety booklet with it. READ IT! I dont say that strictly for your safety, I say that because you may not be the only person around when that winch is in operation. There may be others close by that are depending on you to know what is safe or not safe.

rob doggy dog
06-13-2006, 10:41 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFO! makes sense to me to get something decent ,probably a 8k thanks again!

Add your comment to this topic!