Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Grand Am, Still Has Starting Problems

Cmudr1
06-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Hello All, Im posting about my 93 Grand Am 2.3L again. I was having problems starting the car when it was cold...now Im just having trouble starting the car. I followed the post before and have put on many new parts. It has a new battery, the coil pack(the entire piece that hooks to the plugs), fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump and fuel tank oh and a slightly used fuel filter. I bought the car with a rusted tank that sat for about a year.

I replaced all this and thought it was running great, then it died coming home one night. Went started it next morning and ran fine. Now it has a problem "sometimes" NOT all the time that it wont start without a squirt of Starter fluid. Like I said, sometimes it fires right up others it might take 2 squirts. There is no patteren at all here. Have tried cold, hot, immediately after shutoff, 8 hours later, with engine reved at shutoff, engine at idle, etc...
It doesnt seem to have any pattern, just a mind of its own. It does more freguently start right back up, but not always.

My question is there a sensor going bad, do I need a brand new filter or is it something else? It's getting plenty of spark and runs perfect once started. It has me baffled. I would just like to get it running consistent so I can sell it and be done with it.

Thanks again for everything, You guys are great!
Chris

slick93gt
06-18-2006, 01:50 PM
check all of your grounds in your car to see if there is any loose connections, then check to see if the fuel pump is working, the do a compression test to see if you might have a blown head gasket. then last case seniro check the pcm and the ecm one of those could be bad. trust me I have 93 ga gt with the 3.3l and I was having trouble with a starting issue and come to find out the grounds on the trans were not even connected and it was causing mine not to start either. so go buy you a chilton manual or go the dealership and see if they can make a copy of the service manual to help you find the problem. make sure if you do go to the dealership be very clear what problem you are having, because sometimes they will blow you off. but check those few things I mentioned and you should be able to find your problem. oh while i'm thinking about it check the wiring harness for any breaks in the wiring.

good luck on getting your car running, trust me you need it. I've been in your situtation before

bjobotts
10-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Where the hell are you squirting starting fluid in at on this engine. Just thought I'd let you know that if you go to www.autozone.com and click on repair info and enter your vehicle data it will bring up a repair manual for your car on line for free. Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!